I need help writing a letter for a DMV hearing?

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:52 pm
Okay so 2 weeks ago I got an underage DUI (.02 BAC) and got arrested. Since they took my license away I was supposed to request a hearing with the DMV within 10 days to get a decision on whether they will give my license back or not. I had no idea about this until 2 days ago therefore I missed my chance for the hearing. I called and they said I need to write a letter asking for a late hearing and explain why I didn't do it within that 10 day period. I am not really good at writing formal letters especially in a crucial case like this, I need to write something that will have higher chances of being granted. Can someone please help me , I really don't want to get my license suspended , my life depends on it at this moment ! ;( and please don't try to give me **** about the DUI my BAC was so low and you don't even know my story.. Thanks

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:03 pm
@Tippiekh,
Tippiekh wrote:
... I really don't want to get my license suspended , my life depends on it at this moment ! ...

I won't give you crap about the DUI, but I seriously doubt your life depends on keeping your DL. If it did, if this was really important to you, you would have taken more seriously the time constraints within which you were supposed to request your hearing, or you would have investigated more fully your various obligations upon being arrested.

Why is this that big of a deal? What sort of hardship will you suffer if you do not have your DL?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:11 pm
@Tippiekh,
Quote:
Dear DMV Hearing Officer,

Two weeks ago, I broke the law two times, first by underage drinking and second, by getting behind the wheel of a vehicle while intoxicated to the point that I was stopped and arrested for driving under the influence.

My life depends upon my getting my driver's license back. It is so important to me that during the 10-day period after my arrest I was very busy doing ________ instead of finding out what I'd need to do to get my license back. I should have followed up on this in the next few days rather than waiting for someone to tell me I needed to do something to get my license back.

I know that I am very lucky to have been pulled over by the police before I could get into an accident and harm others or even myself. I've learned my lesson and would like to request a rescheduling of a hearing. Please contact me at:

Thank you.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Again, I ask, WHY does his life depend on getting his license back? That is the essential information lacking in the letter.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:38 pm
@Ticomaya,
That's what he will need to be prepared to explain when he has his hearing if he wants a chance at getting it back.
roger

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
As tico mentioned, an explanation for missing the deadline will also need to be included.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:24 pm
@roger,
Yep, that's what the blank is for...he'll have to fill in the details.
0 Replies

chaelsonnenfan

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 08:46 pm
@Tippiekh,
Just write a brief letter, identify yourself and cite your case number (license #) and request the adminstrative hearing. Don't admit guilt or discuss the case at all in your letter and hire a lawyer.

Just prepare yourself, you'll likely lose the hearing and have your license revoked from 14 days to 6 months.

Most states offer expungement for the criminal side after a certain amount of time if you have no further criminal arrests.

Good Luck

0 Replies

Wonderwoman75

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 08:27 pm
Do those that submit this letter on their own have any chance of winning the hearing? I just cant afford a lawyer at this time and seems Pro Bono Lawyers dont exist anymore
glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2022 10:04 pm
@Wonderwoman75,
Dear Wonderwoman, this query was submitted in 2012. In other words, this person was arrested 10 years ago and no one has heard anything since. Good luck with your DUI.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2022 05:25 am
@Wonderwoman75,
Hire a lawyer...whether you can afford one or not..you have a much better chance ...this situation is going to cost you...not just legal fees but things like drunk school, any court fees, increased insurance once you are given your licence back..it can be depending on the state or country costing you over $10 grand.

Not to mention lost wages for things like community service and going to court, and the inability to drive thus having to to pay for alternative transportation. I'd suck it up and hire a lawyer that can walk you through this mess.
banad

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2023 01:51 pm
@Linkat,
While the cost of legal fees can be a concern, it's important to weigh the potential expenses against the potential consequences of not having proper legal representation. It's possible that the expenses related to attending drunk school, court fees, increased insurance rates, and other financial burdens could end up being even more significant than the cost of hiring a lawyer.

Additionally, there are other financial considerations to keep in mind, such as lost wages due to community service and the need for alternative transportation if your license is suspended. These expenses can add up quickly and impact your overall financial situation.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2023 06:13 pm
@banad,
This guy was one and done eleven years ago, one post and that was it.
0 Replies