Are women in Europe shaving their underarms yet?

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:40 pm
I was just wondering how far this cultural phenomenon has come in Europe. Is it pretty common, or are they still going with the bushy pit look?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 35,965 • Replies: 97
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:45 pm
In St. Petersburg hygene hasn't caught on yet. But then, that is one of the poorer parts of europe.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:51 pm
um, shaving pits doesn't really have much to do with hygiene.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:52 pm
That's debatable. But in any case, if they aren't bathing, they aren't too particular about shaving.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 08:55 pm
hmmmm.... also, I'd have to say that we americans follow excessive bathing rituals.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:52 pm
I little hair under the arm can be sexy. Not bushes and bushes of hair. . . The hair helps hold in the womans natural scent, and can be quite the aphrodisiac when properly done.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:57 pm
So far all I've got is opinions on whether armpit shaving is attractive or clean, and one answer about St. Petersburg. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but does anyone know what's going on with the armpit shaving over there?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:05 am
OKay, last I heard, several years ago, they weren't.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:05 am
One of my girlfriends, Matilda, has a tremendous amount of hair in her armpits.

Looks like she has a couple of gorillas in headlocks.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:10 am
Turner, thanks. Gus . . . yer funny!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:26 am
So men are shaving their pits in the US for hygienic reasons as well?

And to which parts of Europe do you actually refer?

Btw: "The theory is that American women started shaving in the first decades of the 20th century when dress cuts started showing more leg, and sleeveless dresses showing underarms. American women became the target of a new marketing claim that they needed to be "clean" shaven. In May of 1915, "Harper's Bazaar" magazine featured a dress advertisement photo of a young woman with her arm raised and a perfectly smooth armpit with the caption, "Summer Dress and Modern Dancing combine to make necessary the removal of objectionable hair." Shortly thereafter, the shocking term "underarm" was being used and a new market for razor blades was born."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:33 am
Wow, Walter, very interesting. I should have known it had to do with the marketing people. I was thinking Italy specifically, but any information would be appreciated. Is it a lot different from region to region?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:36 am
It's a hyginic problem, indeed: most dermatologists against this, because it's the reason for many skin irritations, especially, when it's hot and you are sweating.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:38 am
It became popular here in Germany ... after WWII with the allied troops coming here.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 04:41 am
It's about time for a member of the 'target group' to speak up! I am a woman and I am European. And yes, I am shaving. A lot of my (female) friends are shaving also. Some women still don't but I would say the majority here in Germany does.

The same goes for legs - you will still see some very hairy female legs. For 'well groomed', well dressed women it is normal to shave their legs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:38 am
What I find interesting, for people who think that shaving is more "hygienic", is that no one seems to be concerned about male underarms. I happen to think that an overabundance of male underarm hair is, well, gross.

BTW, I do shave! Razz
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:46 am
Don't shave mine. Don't require that others shave theirs.

Mrs. SealPoet shaves hers... because she does, not because I want her to.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:14 am
a large amount of hair on a man (anywhere other than the face) is gross- to me- so I married a blond hair German

I also find any hair on a woman other than on the head, eyebrows and eyelashes to be gross. Unfortunately, I am of Italian decent. I think I fund gilettes retirement program.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:19 am
I shave. Not mine, but every other underarm I encounter.

Cats hate me.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:43 am
Why should cats feel differently than any other mammal (sheep excepted)?
0 Replies