Has anyone bought DVDs from either...

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:58 pm
Virgin DVDs or DVD Giant Direct? My friend is looking to buy an out of print DVD, The Court Jester and these two places pop up on the Google search but I'm kind of worried about their legitimacy as web stores.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,600 • Replies: 16
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm not familiar with them, but I pulled a review off Google. I think it indicated they might be Aussies. Here it is:

http://australian-dvd-rental-websites.no1reviews.com/dvddirect.html
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:06 pm
@Ragman,
Despite the similarity of the vague web site names, the one I'm referring to is DVD GIANT Direct. That's one of my problems with the site. You can't get any vaguer/simpler with the silly site name yet only have an outdated web 1.o site.
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, Virgin DVDs the same mega-company, right? They're pretty well known.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:23 pm
@Ragman,
No. Not Sir Richard Branson's Virgin media conglomerate. I wish that was the case. This site looks like it was designed in the late 1990's. Has the look of an independent video store (single brick and mortar store in the suburbs) online presence but they're not giving out any company details that could tell the company history or legitimacy.
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not to beg the issue, but has he/she tried Netflix or Blockbuster or Amazon or Ebay?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:47 pm
@Ragman,
We're looking for a DVD as a Christmas present. Rules out Netflix and Blockbuster doesn't have a presence in NYC other then their rare rental kiosks. Tried Amazon and Ebay. The DVDs are exorbitantly priced on those sites.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
If we lived in England then there wouldn't be a problem. There are A LOT of copies of the DVDs. But we can't import the English DVDs due to the differences between the two countries' regional codes.
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 12:20 am
@tsarstepan,
You can buy films from Netflix if you are a member. I've bought a few.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_buy_a_Netflix_movie

Also I've bought movies on Ebay and on Amazon. Prices do vary all over the place.
djjd62

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 02:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
i've obtained a few dvd's from the ether Wink
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:19 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

You can buy films from Netflix if you are a member. I've bought a few.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_buy_a_Netflix_movie

Quote:
On Nov. 3, 2008, the Official Netflix Blog announced that they would no longer continue selling their used DVDs through the website. Sales continued through Nov. 30 of the same year but the operation ceased as scheduled in December.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5303960_buy-used-dvds-netflix.html#ixzz2FGQ8t26C
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
But we can't import the English DVDs due to the differences between the two countries' regional codes.

sure you can - just go to one of the local shops that does the conversions. It's comparatively inexpensive these days.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Well the issue is moot. Tonight, my friend went ahead and bought the $44 used DVD on Amazon. But thanks for the help ehBeth.
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
<sniff sniff>
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:01 pm
@Ragman,
http://i50.tinypic.com/v5k0es.jpg
Thank you for your help Ragman. Smile
ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Keep it in mind if it comes up again.

Go to your nearest immigrant community neighbourhood ... the conversion shops are all over the place. The equipment to do the conversion isn't wildly expensive anymore so every papadum shop and Greek bakery seems to have the ability to do conversions now.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Mr. Green Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Mr. Green
0 Replies