DVD/CDROM Player only reads DVDs (Anyone know how to fix this?)

Gilek

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:11 pm
My computer's DVD-ROM/CD-ROM player
can play DVDs, but does not recognize CD-ROMs or audio CDs.
It used to work properly reading all disc types.
One night,
I left a DVD playing overnight. When the movie ended, it returned to it's main menu. The main menu plays out it's background video for thirty seconds or so, and then starts over again. I wonder if the player having to maintain the main menu for several hours is the reason why it is only able to play DVDs now. My other theory is that a vital system file was deleted, though this is unlikely.
Does any one know how to solve this riddle?
Fixing it is my only option right now as I will not be able to afford a new one any time soon, so any help woul be quite appreciated.
Thankyou,
-Gilek
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,927 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:20 pm
@Gilek,
I would try to see if updating the driver or firmware for it fixes it (firmware is less likely as you probably didn't change it) but otherwise it may be that the lens for CDs (sometimes they use separate lenses I believe) is damaged or needs cleaning.
Gilek

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel:
Is firmware the original installation CD-ROM?
Also: Would I update the driver through Device Manager
Or does updating the driver involve going to the manufacturer's website?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:31 pm
@Gilek,
Gilek wrote:
Is firmware the original installation CD-ROM?

I don't think so, and to be honest I think you'd remember any firmware changes if they happened (while driver updates can more easily go unnoticed). Most of the time you never update the firmware for something like that.

Quote:
Also: Would I update the driver through Device Manager
Or does updating the driver involve going to the manufacturer's website?

It can be either or both. You go to device manager, from there you can update a device driver. When you do so Windows will search for certain known drivers but they won't always have the latest from all manufacturers. In those cases it is sometimes necessary to go to the manufacturer's website and see if you can manually find and download it.
Gilek

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:38 pm
@Gilek,
Hmm,
There is one other thing that might be a clue to what the fallacy is:
When I put in a CDROM or AudioCD the player makes a
chuh-chuh chuh-chuh chuh-chuh sound for several seconds. I think it may be attempting to read the disc and the sound is perhaps the lens being moved to different positions.
Robert Gentel: If there is a second lens; I have never noticed it. Perhaps a second lens is -the one which reads CD-ROMS & audio CDs- unable to move into position to read the disc.
0 Replies

Gilek

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I will check-out the manufacturer's (Philips) website now; thanks for the idea.
Gilek

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 05:50 pm
@Gilek,
I am out for the rest of this day; I will update the next chance I get. Thank you for your knowledge RG; I will see what I can do with it. If there are any more thoughts on the matter out there; I intend to return within the next few days.
Gilek

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:12 am
@Gilek,
It seems that the driver most likely needs updated online. The computer has not been connected to the internet for months. Unfortunately I can not connect it to the internet for a while now; months perhaps; if I remember when I finally fix the problem, I'll update the post.
Thanks all Smile & good look with your computers
contrex

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 04:18 am
@Gilek,
DVD-ROM drive pickup units have two laser diodes, one for DVDs and another for CDs. This is because the pits on the disk surface which contain the data are smaller on DVDs thus light of a shorter wavelength is needed. The light from a DVD laser has a wavelength of 640 nanometres where from a CD laser it is 780 nanometres. Failure to read one kind of disk (CD or DVD) while reading the other kind OK strongly suggests a hardware failure, probably either a burned out or failed laser or the circuitry associated with it. Especially in view of the seek failure described here:

Quote:
When I put in a CDROM or AudioCD the player makes a chuh-chuh chuh-chuh chuh-chuh sound for several seconds.

No amount of driver downloads is going to fix that laser. DVD-ROM drives are so cheap nowadays* that it hardly makes any sense to spend a lot of time worrying about such things. Replace it.

A couple of random web finds: 8.50 UK pounds at Amazon, for example, that's about 13 US dollars. Newegg have them for around 17 dollars.

Gilek

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:50 am
@contrex,
Thank-you cery much Contrex.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 02:25 pm
@Gilek,
I think contrex is correct -- your drive is gone. If you've had it a few years and intend to keep the computer for a few more years before replacing it, I'd consider a compatible upgrade in replacing it.
0 Replies