Florida Set to Issue its 1 Millionth Concealed Carry Permit.

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 03:56 pm
http://www.texaschllicense.com/florida-paced-to-issue-one-million-gun-permits/

Florida is very close to issuing its millionth concealed carry permit. I have one of those. I had to be fingerprinted, (I think that the prints were sent to the F.B.I.), and took an extensive course about the Florida gun laws, and how to use a gun safely. I had to pass a written test, as well as show the instructor that I knew how to shoot before I was given the permit.
Do I walk around with my gun? No. But I believe that someday, if I am alone, the pistol will sitting, at the ready, on my night table.

I really get my nose out of joint when I hear people who would have the government take citizens' right to bear arms away from us. Criminals will always find a way to get an illegal pistol. They might think twice about breaking and entering, if they think that their victim might just have the wherewithal to fight back.

What do you think about this? Do you think that having a lot of people owning guns legally, and being able to carry them concealed is a good idea? If not, why not? I understand that Oklahoma has just passed a law that would allow people to carry guns openly. Do you think that's a good idea or not?

I know that this is an emotionally loaded subject, with people having strong ideas on one side of the issue or another. My expectation is that we treat this issue with the respect that it deserves. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,930 • Replies: 10

roger

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 05:02 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I think it's not just a question of the crooks being able to get a gun. If they are big enough and you are small enough (like you and I), it doesn't matter if they are armed or not. What matters is whether we are, or might be armed. Criminals might not be the best and brightest, but mostly they're fairly good at picking their victims.

I think of it as a kind of herd immunity. If something like even 20% of us are known to be armed, they have to consider the possibility that we are all a part of that 20%.
Bennet

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 05:08 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
What do you think about this? Do you think that having a lot of people owning guns legally, and being able to carry them concealed is a good idea? If not, why not? I understand that Oklahoma has just passed a law that would allow people to carry guns openly. Do you think that's a good idea or not?

If at a point where most people carry, I don't see why open carry should not be an allowed as an option with appropriate licensing. The whole point of concealed carry is for the element of surprise. Once everyone carries, criminals are already aware that the citizens are armed. Main three advantage of open carry I see are tactical maneuverability, raised awareness of gun ownership, and possibly a crime deterrent. The disadvantage is just the blatant display of the weapon leading to possible targeting by criminals who may want your weapon to turn it against you and likely impose harm on you. Safe to say, it's a double edged situation.

As long as the gun owners are responsible, I don't see a problem with open carry. So I believe it is with discretion that a gun owner should think about open carry, but that doesn't mean open carry shouldn't be offered as an option.
djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 05:09 pm
my list of reasons for not wanting to visit florida just got longer
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 07:51 pm
@Bennet,
All good points, Bennet, but some will consider an openly carried gun to be a challenge. Anyhow, it isn't bad to leave the possibility that an apparantly unarmed person might indeed be armed.

As you noted, an openly carried firearm could definately become a challenge to the crooks, and it is hard to have a conceled weapon meet the standards of accessibility, effectiveness, and remain truely conceled till needed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:41 pm
In some cases it may transpire that the bad guys decide it's best to approach by stealth, shoot first, rob later.
thack45

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 10:12 pm
Time for a new fashion trend in Florida ...

http://www.smcars.net/forums/attachments/miscellaneous/83755d1223773427-exo-skeleton-iron-man-suit-mark-ii-mrk-ii.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 10:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Un huh. That is one of the disadvantages to open carry. They have been known to make such a decision in regard to the unarmed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:47 am
@Bennet,
Quote:
The disadvantage is just the blatant display of the weapon leading to possible targeting by criminals who may want your weapon to turn it against you and likely impose harm on you.

I am conflicted about this issue. I am especially concerned about those who would go to a bar "packing heat", have a few, and get into an argument over some normally inconsequential thing. I also agree that, at this point in our history, walking around with a gun at one's hip, might very well be perceived as overly aggressive, and might elicit hostile responses.

In the past though, especially in the western part of the US, the people carried weapons all the time. It was simply part of the culture, and I would suspect that no one thought much about it. I don't know if people now would treat the sight of a weapon with the same equanimity as in "the wild West".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:54 am
@roger,
Quote:
I think of it as a kind of herd immunity. If something like even 20% of us are known to be armed, they have to consider the possibility that we are all a part of that 20%.

I think that you have a very good point, Rog. I read a story recently where a little old lady confronted, and scared off an attacker when she pulled out her gun. I'll bet that the guy will think twice about the next time that he wants to rob someone. Better still, I think that the publicity engendered by the story might give others a reason to think twice about attacking.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:28 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:

The weather is a serious consideration
qua open carry of guns.
0 Replies