Wood turning

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:56 pm
Laughing I do wood turning and never really thought of it as an art form. Some ladies from an art gallery down town have seen some of my work and have ask me to let them try to sell some of it.
I was wondering if there are any other wood turners on this line to trade stories with or maybe just anyone interested in wood bowls and hollow forms.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,030 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:13 pm
Hebba works with wood, if he doesn't see this someone should drop him a note.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:21 pm
I monkey around with a router from time to time, but never got involved in turning.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:24 pm
Slimmerson- Welcome!

Why don't you take a few pictures of your work, and post them tothe "Original Art" Forum? I am sure that there are many here who would love to see them!
0 Replies

Ginny

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:38 pm
There is an art gallery in Toronto, Canada that sells most things handmade - including weavings, pottery, jewelry, and...beautiful wooden bowls (most of several different kinds of wood, so each is quite unique).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 08:46 pm
There are several people in the area where I live that do beautiful work with turned bowls...gorgeous, really.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 09:08 pm
Slimmerson welcome to A2k.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:34 am
i have a lathe, made some bowels, candelsticks, etc. not a pro tho, just played around. you can make money if you have the knack for the market niche at the time.
0 Replies

Slimmerson

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 04:44 am
Original "art forum"
moderator , I am not familiar with the original art forum. I do have some pictures I would be happy to post if you could give me some directions.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 05:13 am
Slimmerson-Go to the "Forum Index. Scroll down a bit, and you will see a category "Your Original Art and Writing". The second item in this category is, "Original Art and Photography". You simply start a new thread there, and post your pctures. Use the same thread to post all your pictures, using the responses to add pictures.

Craven has written a nice tutorial about posting pictures:

Clink on Link to Tutorial on Posting Images

The thing is, I don't know how much YOU know about scanning pictures, coping to your hard drive, and uploading. You need to scan your picture onto your hard drive. You then upload it to Raven's Realm (or another place that takes uploads).
Then follow Craven's directions. If this all sounds like Greek to you, please PM me, let me know what you don't understand, and I will walk you thru it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 05:52 am
mikey52- Wooden Bowels? Hmm. Maybe you could sell them to a medical supply house. The gastro guys could use them to keep candy on their desks! Very Happy
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:25 am
you need gnarled wood, and candy Phoenix, i have neither.

i am a bit gnarly tho.......
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:23 pm
I bought a Conover Lathe (sans motor) for 150 bucks at an auction about 3 years ago. Its a sturdy good ole boy, real heavy and vibration free. The motor was more expensive than the lathe, but I know I made a great deal. Ive turned things(poorly) cause Im interested in any kind of woodwork. Ive made some really ornate sticks and a newell post for one that was missing from our center staircase. Im still wingin stuff all over the place and I want to start on bowls and open turnin gs from burl. Im thinking of taking a course at the Lancaster County vo tec if I can get some time . I tried reading some books and its not the same. I watch some of these guys at the wood shows with the little midis , and Im amazed at how effortlessly they turn, and talk. I know Id be in the emergency room with a parting tool in my aorta.
Im still a bit intimidated by this mama cuz its kind of big and industrial looking. Some of the opening tools Ive seen are a couple feet long(I suppose for the leverage?)
RANK BEGINNER
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:44 pm
I wonder what happened to Slimmerman...

Ok, now, I am going to hunt up some links.

Back later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:59 pm
http://www.woodguild.com

http://www.thepalette.com/stories_98/wood.html

Some links from my neck of the woods...
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:39 am
I like the look of your neck of the woods,Osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 07:19 pm
hi, Hebba, yes it is really beautiful around here, good people around too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 06:24 am
well heres a thread that started and went nowhere. Anybody see the threadmeister?
0 Replies