Able to Know Books by Mail

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:30 pm
Coolness!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:00 pm
I keep trying to post and running into thickets.

OK,

Here, thrown at you, whether you like them or not -

The Price of Failure, by Jeffrey Ashford. Hardback, virtually new. I wondered why I bought it.

The Broke Diaries Angela Nissel I read it quickly, piffle, but not without some merit.

The Seventh Communion, a paperback by Arturo Perez Reverte, who I gather is gathering steam as a writer. I was engaged, consider the book worth the imposition of the purchase. I might improve in enthusiasm in time.

Robert Crais, The Last Detective
a book not unfamiliar to me as I read it, but then I am a mid aged person from LA. I didn't hate it, didn't love it.

I know this all sounds harsh and I might reconsider on more thought. These are my takes an inveterate reader, fast.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:03 pm
Of those last books, I'll send any awker any or all of them, perhaps for free, but if I feel it is too much, you get to split it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:11 pm
Next we have a small carton -

Lisa Scottoline, battered paperback, Moment of Truth, free for the asking.

Carroll, Sleeping in Flame, I think this is by a person whose writing I like, but .........but he and I aren't the same person.
Free, I'd like others to appreciate him.

Tess of the D'urbervilles - damn, I tried, but I couldn't read it. I suspect it just takes a few paragraphs past where I got to to engage...........

My problem is I heard, indeed read of Mme Bovary and Anna Karennina and what is that whatsit by Edith Wharton? I am over all of that self immolation.
But you folks shouldn't be over it, it is shoulder setting to read.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:18 pm
Excuse me, I haven't lined up which books I would give away, versus those I might kill to keep.

Most are on the give away side, but not to just anyone.

I'll usually give my books to someone who might actually want them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:09 am
I have Haven Kimmel's memoir, Growing up Zippy. It's a paperback, reads pretty quickly. Can I send it to anyone?
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:14 pm
Hmm, I like this whole idea, but the postage seems a little prohibitive. Too bad.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
Postage is peanuts, in the states at least. $1.42 paperback, $1.82 book club or $2 and change depending on weight of a First Edition... as long as you send it "Media Mail". Canada just jumped to like $8 but the Netherlands can still be reached for under $5. If you're generous but poor, just have the intended recipient send you a PayPal!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:20 pm
Righto, what about air mail to Oz?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:33 pm
Don't know, but air mail is always high. I was talking about 2-6 week media 'surface' mail to the Netherlands. I've never sent anything to Oz.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:37 pm
When I get cd's from the USA, normal post lasts exactly 4 weeks, costs something about $7 plus.

Airmail is at least the double of that - but arrives here within 8 days.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:57 pm
Eek I totally forgot to report in. I now have the Swimming with the Sharks book. Gonna read it as soon as I finish The Little Ice Age. I also have a book called A Girl Named Zippy which I can send out (it's a short paperback). Any takers?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:23 pm
We need to start a list of availables that can be updated. hmmm.

I go through books by the whole swaths, being as you know, nuts, but they are sometimes a little wrinkled.

Hmm, I wonder about sending a batch, as opposed to one.... to Oz.

Actually I might be glad to do it. I keep a few that fit some categories I have trouble parting with, and have some landscape and art books I hope to sell for real money. Plus some books on Italy and Art that I cannot yet part with. But I might be able to gather parcels... where you might like one but not the others. But would that be multiple the money to mail?

Somebody someday will get all my crime books about art, my crime books set in Italy, and ... the list expands, around the world.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:23 pm
Add about a buck a piece for First Editions, less for lighter books.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:56 pm
I have some first editions, but for the mad reader, the interest in any of my books is by category.

On value, I found one of my cookbooks that I got because I am, as all know, italy crazed before that became a hobby for folks, and yes, worth 250, used.

But, y'know, I like it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:07 pm
You might want to check this page to help determine fair prices whether buying or selling unusual books. It will save you lots of time.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 04:38 am
i have some books. general fiction stuff. I'll list shortly.

btw, TDC was GREAT. Thanks Bill for adding it to our circle of sorts. A co-worker of mine is reading it now and I've forced her to write something on the inside of cover.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:30 am
Hey, I've got 2 books ready to go:

Swim with the Sharks without being Eaten alive by Harvey MacKay and
A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmell.

Who wants 'em? :-D
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:53 am
I'm in, if that's cool! Takes about 5 days for stuff to get to the US from here, OZ is longer, Europe, not so long, of course!

jespah wrote:
Hey, I've got 2 books ready to go:

Swim with the Sharks without being Eaten alive by Harvey MacKay and
A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmell.

Who wants 'em? :-D

jespah, I'll take Zippy, if you don't mind...let me know and I'll PM my address!

And I have Miss Wyoming, by Douglas Coupland--ready and recently finished---if I like his others I may want it back, undecided, lol...

Anywhere is fine, just let me know.

I'll have more to list when my friend's give back books I've lent out!

Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:22 am
Sure, except PMs are down - is the blog that you link to yours? If so, can I just send you a feedback note there with my email?
0 Replies