Artist Identification help, clear signature, painting

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 02:15 pm
I have a painting that an elderly couple said they bought in the late 40's in Italy, so I assume the artist is Italian. The signature reads " Marcello ". If anyone has any clue who Marcello is, that would be very helpful.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i32/smashlock/IMG_0189.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,308 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PrazB2JC

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 03:21 pm
@Smashlock,
Hi, I believe you have a very valuable painting.

The artist is Marcello Bacciarelli (1731-1818), Aliases: Marceli Bacciarelli; Marcello "de" Bacciarelli.

Marcello Bacciarelli was born in Rome on 16 Feb 1731; died in Warsaw on 5 Jan 1818. Italian painter, active in Poland. He studied in Rome with Marco Benefial and in 1750 was summoned to the Dresden court of Elector Frederick Augustus II (Augustus III of Poland), where he worked as a draftsman in the picture gallery. In Dresden, Bacciarelli also painted portraits. Along with the entire Saxon court, he spent the years 1756–64 in Warsaw, working as portrait painter to the aristocracy. At this time he also moved in Polish circles, getting to know the family of the future Polish king, Stanislav II Poniatowski. In 1764–6 Bacciarelli worked at the imperial court in Vienna. From 1766 he settled permanently in Warsaw, where he was closely associated with Stanislav II and his court and worked as the chief propagator and interpreter of the artistic policy of the monarchy. In 1786, he was admitted into the Polish nobility. He became the King’s principal painter, organizing and maintaining the artistic workshop in the Royal Castle supervising the decoration of the King’s residence (1776–85) and coordinating the accumulation and maintenance of the royal collection. In 1786 he was appointed Director-General of the royal buildings. Bacciarelli enjoyed both the confidence and the friendship of the King. In 1787, he traveled to Italy where he was elected to membership of several academies. When the King was forced in 1795 to abandon the capital and abdicate the throne, Bacciarelli remained in Warsaw, maintaining overall control of artistic affairs in the city, and after the death of Stanislav II in 1798, he took control of matters relating to the King’s estate and the disposal of the royal collections. In 1816, he became honorary dean and professor at the newly founded faculty of education and fine art at Warsaw University. Bacciarelli regarded Poland as his homeland, and his descendants assumed Polish citizenship.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 03:45 pm
@PrazB2JC,
I doubt that strongly.
Of course, I'm from nearby Tijuana.
0 Replies

Smashlock

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 01:54 pm
@PrazB2JC,
I doubt this painting is from Bacciarelli although that would be nice haha, thanks for the reply!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 02:14 pm
@Smashlock,
Smash, it looks, ah, cheesy, to me - but there was a group of country style italian painters, the Macchiaioli, that I remember seeing the work of, might even still have a book, but then I have pretty much forgotten how the paintings looked.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised either way.

First of all, is it actually a painting on canvas? What kind of canvas?

Smashlock

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 12:45 am
@ossobuco,
Yes it is painted on canvas, although I don't know how to distinguish different types of canvas, I attached an image

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i32/smashlock/IMG_0202_zps296f960b.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 09:08 am
@Smashlock,
That looks like recent canvas and frame to me, but I'm not someone to trust on that. It also looks like recent penmanship, and not italian penmanship, but while I've seen some contemporary italian penmanship, not that much. That 2391 might be a date, or not.

I'll be curious if you are able to chase this down and find out about the painting.
Am hoping some others who follow art here will see this thread.
0 Replies