Spybot found these!!!

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 09:56 am
I have run Spybot just a few times now and this last time it came up with these: Xupiter.Sqwire:Library it's a file and
PeopleOnPage:Global Settings it's a registry key and
PeopleOnPage: Log it's a file

SPybot says it can't fix these. What are they and do I need them? If I don't need them, then how do i get rid of them? Everytime I have run Spybot these 2 always come up. Please help!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,090 • Replies: 21
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:02 am
Hi, ylee! Welcome to a2k!

I just started my spybot to see if I can help...
Spybot says:
Quote:
If the scan has found something, the list will show it. There are three basic kinds of results:

Red entries indicate spyware problems that should be fixed to avoid security and/or privacy problems. This is the only kind of problem that is preselected to be fixed.

Black entries are system internals. If you do not know what they mean, I would suggest to either keep your fingers from it or visit the support forum.

Green entries indicate usage tracks. It can do no harm to remove these.
For most problems more information is available. If you select a problem in the list, the button Description of this product should be available in most cases. Press it to read about what kind of threat you have found.

Maybe this'll help you!
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:10 am
Thanks for the welcome Bigdice!!! And thanks for the info. That much I did know, I did read the Tutorial. But what I wondered is how to fix them they are in RED.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:11 am
You don't need them, ylee. What you might wanna do is first update, then "Immunize", then configure Spybot to run on your next boot, then boot into safemode and allow it to run. It should then be able to "fix" them. When its done, reboot normally and run Spybot again. See the documentation in Spybot's online user manual.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:11 am
Here's something to checkout.doxdesk
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:20 am
Thanks Timberlandko but you lost this poor soul. LOL I am just an average user and running in safe mode and all that just confused me. I have tried things like that before and screwed it up to the point I had to take computer back and have the things replaced on it that I unknowingly deleted. I was hoping for an easier way. But I wrote down what you suggested. Thanks
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:21 am
George sorry don't know what you want me to do with the Doxdesk???? What is it?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:26 am
Click on it.
It is a link to a page discussing what seems to be Xupiter spyware.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:39 am
George, Thanks so much !!! That was very helpful and informative. I love this site and am glad I joined. Very helpful indeed. Thanks again!!!!
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 10:51 am
You're welcome.
Wouldn't you love to just slap these spyware makers upside the head?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:03 am
DoxDesk is more or less a blog with some useful, if pretty techie, info. Now, back to the Spybot thing.

1) Open Spybot, in "Advanced" mode, while you are connected to the internet.

2) Click "Online"

3) Click "Search for Updates", and follow the instructions as they come along.

4) Click "Spybot S&D"

5) Click "Immunize", then click the "Immunize" button on that page, and click "Install" below that in the pane called "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer". For now, DO NOT check any of the boxes below that pane, in the "Recommended miscellaneous protections" pane.

6) Disconnect from the internet. Click "Search and Destroy", then click "Check for Problems". Go do something else for a while; your machine will be busy. Of course, you can always just sit there and stare at the screen while stuff goes on.

7) When the process completes, click "Select all items", then click "Fix Problems"

8) When that's done, click "Settings" and in the pane on the left side click "Settings" again. Scroll down to "System Start" and click to put a check in the "Run program once at next system startup" box, and in the "Fix all problems at program start" box.

9) Exit Spybot and reboot your machine. As it is restarting, persistently tap the F8 key ... that will bring you to your boot menu. Select option three, "Safemode". The machine will boot into safemode, and your desktop will probably appear a little funny ... don't worry about it. If the "Windows Help" page comes up, just close it, even if it asks you "Are you sure. You may also see a notice box that you are running in safemode. Just close that, too. Spybot should be running all by itself now, with no distractions.

10) When it is done (again, that could take a while), reboot normally. Just as good practice, run Spybot one more time, after having first thoroughly read its tutorial, which is found under its "Help" button. You should be good to go. You ought to see something like this:

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/Capture_03102004_113130.jpg
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:46 am
WOW Timberland Now does anyone know how i can print this answer out?? without printing the entire question and answer page?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:59 am
timber.... you are great!!

yleecoyote, welcome to A2K!!

try this for printing.... "highlight" what you want to print.... click on File.... click on Print.... click on the little round button for "selection".... then OK...

now you should only print what was "highlighted"....

hope that works for you....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:09 pm
Peace and Love Thank you so much for the info and the welcome!!! And yes I think Timberland is great too.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:11 pm
Timberland, I tried what you suggested and couldn't even get the number 1 done. I can't seem to find and put Spybot into the Advance Mode. I can't find a settings button or anything. Sorry I am such an idiot.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:17 pm
ylee... you're not an idiot!!!... at this point, I always ask my 25-year-old daughter for help... LOL...

I don't have SpyBot, so I don't know what you're looking at.... did you try to Right-Click, for opening the program...

the Print/Selection is really good for those annoying times that the printing gets cut off on the right margin... I discovered this trick when I was printing out some recipes from a website....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:18 pm
To select between advanced and easy mode you go to:

Start > Programs > Spybot and in the program folder for spybot there are two links, one launches advanced mode and the other launches easy mode.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:22 pm
Peace and Love thanks so much again. I know i sound like a recording saying thank you so much to everyone but I just love this site and all the helpful ppl. I was truly a lost soul before I came here!!! Thank goodness AskJeeves gave me this site!!!!!
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:23 pm
Craven Thanks for that!!! I feel stupid for not seeing that before. LOL you made it look so easy.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:27 pm
I had a thread the other day about my computer losing its TCP/IP stack. What I did was run Spybot Search & Destroy, then rebooted, specifying that Spybot be run again at boot. I didn't boot in Safe Mode however.

When the machine came back up and Spybot scanned clean I saw that screen above. The problem was, though I could connect to the Internet via dialup, one or more of my TCP/IP layers was essentially gone, and thus I couldn't communicate with the Internet. I could ping known IP addresses but I couldn't resolve anything. Wound up rebuilding the machine from scratch.
0 Replies