Anything about art...

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 10:44 pm
Just post anything about art here, I guess...if you need ideas come ask, if you have a problem with something come ask, yeah, you get the idea!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,658 • Replies: 51
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:41 am
Welcome here at a2k, un-star. Are you an artist yourself? Some people who read the art forum are artists and many follow it out of interest.
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 03:48 pm
yes, i love art alot!! i sketch almost 24/7 lol!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:13 pm
what do you sketch?
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:42 pm
well usually people, sometimes i design clothes or just draw whatever comes to mind
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 08:11 pm
truth
I stopped at a gallery early today, wildly attracted to a painting in the window. It was a work by the Italian painter, Agnese Udinotti. Her's was the only work shown at the time. There was a lady sweeping up inside. I expressed my appreciation for the work, beautifully ambiguous, subtle figures, very painterly and expressive. We had an interesting discussion. The lady really new her art history. I made very sincere appreciative comments on the works, even asked for the price list. But only bought a retrospective catalog. When I got home and unwrapped the catalog, I saw from the photo inside that I was talking to Udinotti herself. Glad my comments were so positive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:25 pm
Good experience, JL, for you and her.

We sold four watercolors yesterday, saving our respective asses for a while. It was a woman who had seen the Sacramento display who drove up to our place to see them again.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 10:15 pm
JL, was it this person? is this her?

If anyone has any questions about oil painting I specialize in it.
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 10:35 pm
what medium was it in?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:47 am
along with everyone else I voted no

Pure copying is the sign of a lack of imagination. Taking a painting and moving it on is ok if you credit the original artist
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:37 am
truth
Yes, Portal Star, that is she. Wonderful images. By the way, I misspoke. She is Greek, not Italian; I was going by her name. Her work provides a great example of the distinction between prettiness and beauty. Next door to the gallery was another full of pretty pictures. The last time I was in there I felt like I was having a sugar attack from desserts. Udinotti's work is, by comparison, a gourmet pasta dish with lots of garlic.
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 04:59 pm
that's a nice way of putting it, JLN! Laughing
0 Replies

solar

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:14 pm
I'm not an artist.
But appreciate the talent.
I'm reading a book right now by Charles de Lint called Memory & Dream about paintings having spirit that open a door to The Muses allowing them to enter our world.
Okay, it is a fantasy, but I think the characters in the book exhibit the drive of the artist very well.
(Not being one, i can only imagine.)
Bravo to artists everywhere!
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 05:43 pm
Laughing thank you! thank you very much!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 08:42 pm
truth
Solar, bravo to you and all the other people who have evolved to the position of being able to appreciate art.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:05 am
Evolved?
oh yes, I remember how excited I was when i developed lungs and my gills closed up.
hehe
I hope to be walking upright any day now.
:wink:
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:20 am
solar wrote:
I'm not an artist.
I'm reading a book right now by Charles de Lint called Memory & Dream about paintings having spirit that open a door to The Muses allowing them to enter our world.
Okay, it is a fantasy, but I think the characters in the book exhibit the drive of the artist very well.

solar; respectfully, you are wrong.

you 'are' an artist; art is as much in the perception, as in the message.
i consider art to be simply 'emotional communication'; and one cannot communicate without a receptive audience!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:15 am
truth
BoGoWo, I agree completely. Beauty is in the MIND of the beholder, whether it be the mind of the lay viewer or that of the artist himself as he views the work in process and responds with alterations or with leaving something as it is. The on-going process of artlistic creation involves the same kind of creative viewing as is exercised by the lay viewer. In other words, I understand this to be what you are saying: to appreciate the work of another person is to engage in artistic creation.
Solar, I used "evolve" metaphorically.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:20 am
Just having fun with 'evolve'. :wink:

And I accept BoGoWo's comment.
I've the soul, if not the talent.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:29 am
BoGoWo wrote:
solar wrote:
I'm not an artist.

solar; respectfully, you are wrong.

you 'are' an artist; art is as much in the perception, as in the message.
i consider art to be simply 'emotional communication'; and one cannot communicate without a receptive audience!

I prefer people not use the word artist to mean anything but. Otherwise, I'm stuck explaining to people what it is I -actually- do all night.

"I'm an artist?"
"What kind of artist? A musician? A poet?"
"No, I'm a painter?"
"An oil painter?"
"Yes. And I am also a sculptor, and a sketcher, and a drawer with charcoal, and a watercolor illustrator..."

Much easier if you say "I'm an artist" and they don't think you mean Prince. Then I don't have to list off my diciplines by media. There are other words you people can use, seriously.
0 Replies