Not your "Typical" Legal Story - Is mooning a right?

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 02:18 pm
From today's headlines:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/12/13/offbeat.australia.
mooning.reut/index.html

SYDNEY, Australia (Reuters) -- Australian police warned on Friday that the law would lose its bite if "mooning" became enshrined as an implied constitutional right.

A lawyer for defendant James Albert Ernest Togo, 20, told a court in the eastern state of Queensland last month that his client was exercising his right to protest and was not guilty of indecency when he bared his buttocks at a police car last August.

But police prosecutor Senior Sergeant Michael Purcell said on Friday that argument was bogus and dangerous.

Purcell told the court he could not imagine naked buttocks replacing the kangaroo and emu on Australia's Coat of Arms.

"How can the action of someone dropping their pants and exposing their buttocks become public comment or a political protest?" he asked, the Australian Associated Press reported.

"If we allowed everyone who wanted to drop their pants and moon police officers, we are undermining the authority of the police."

The case continues.

(You whacky Aussies! lol )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,674 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 02:25 pm
I have heard there are some judges who punish shoplifters by making them wear signs that state they are thieves and having to walk up and down outside the store where they shoplifted for a period of days/weeks.

I have the perfect punishment for mooners:

Anyone caught mooning is subject to being put in a stockage-type contraption for an hour so that the public (keep the children away) can throw spoiled fruit and melting snow-cones at his/her rear! And should the mooner be imbibed in any way, he/she should be allowed time to sober up before the punishment proceeds.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 02:32 pm
Heeven wrote:
And should the mooner be imbibed in any way

I'm sorry, I think I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning... I'm taking things the wrong way all over the place. But I couldn't let this go without comment. Shocked
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 02:38 pm
I like the whole picture however of buttocks replacing the kangaroo, it certainly would let persons know what they could be in store for.

on a more serious note...it is indecent, it has nothing to do with a protest...other than the same type of thing i do to other drivers with one of my center digits....I dont think that counts.

silly aussies indeed
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 02:59 pm
What?
What was the comment?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:12 pm
OY!

There are devoted adherents of mooning lo not so very far away as all that - and he is an American!!!!!!

I have to say that I have been in court when folk charged with mooning were having their cases heard. I might add that, (although I am sure that it is TOTALLY irrelevant...snicker) they were a group of Canadian and US male tourists. Anyhoo - they had mooned most amazingly (though the prosecution insisted on calling it "brown-eying"... but I digress) because they had imbibed rather a lot at a jazz and food festival on the seafront, and had climbed to the top of one of the main marquees, made their way to the section above the stage, and proceeded to amuse the crowd with a mass-mooning exhibition!

Now - the constabulary appear to have been less than vigilant - possibly because they were laughing - and the group escaped by running about in alleys until the police gave up chasing them.

They then, as described by the police prosecutor in court, decided to have a quiet toke - presumably to soothe their nerves - and were apparently rendered less fleet of foot by this combination of drugs, since when a passing police car caught them in the act, they were unable to effect an escape.

The magistrate - a singularly weird and famously humourless man (who is now serving a very long prison sentence, himself, for sexually abusing a large number of boys...sigh) - heard the details of the offences with his face, as usual, hidden in his hands. I was able to note, however, an unusual tremor in said hands - and it soon became apparent that the dour and grim man was laughing helplessly and trying to hide it!

When the prosecutor noticed this, he, too, began to have trouble staying serious. The gaggle of young men - obviously well-schooled by their lawyer on the importance of looking suitably contrite and miserable - also began to lose it. Soon all the protagonists were shaking uncontrollably.

The sentence imposed was very light - a fine - especially for this magistrate, who was known to sentence very heavily....plate sin with power..... but I digress...

Oh - Queensland IS an eastern state - because it is on the eastern seaboard - or the eastern bit of it is - but the dominant description of it is that it is a NORTHERN state - as in deep north - as you US folk might say the deep south. They be gone troppo up there!

However - I LOVE the legal argument being mounted - and I imagine the officers of the court are shaking with laughter as they are debating!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:34 pm
Or, picture-it ...

The magistrate should have made them drop trou right there in court and paddled their arses.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:35 pm
Puhleeeze!

Given what the man was doing in his spare time, that image is too much to bear!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 04:17 pm
No doubt we have plenty of mooner's of our own there little bunny one! Our's just haven't gotten brave enough to claim they have a Constitutional right to do so.. yet... lol

The whole article just hit my funny bone when I ran across it. Mooning hits the Supreme Court. What could be next? Very Happy
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 04:45 pm
If you look at this on the other side, if they want to throw the book at you - it could be a sexual morals charge, then your in a fine pickle. In todays society you do not want to go around with that albatros hung around your neck (or hung anywhere else either (http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/aktion/aktion027.gif).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 04:47 pm
<throwing the book at BillW>
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 04:52 pm
heh sozobe, it's just evidence at trial, I'm trying to put a light on the subject!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 04:55 pm
Well, please hide that light under a bushel. Razz
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:28 pm
Back in college one day we had a snowball fight with the dorm next door. On the roof. These were funky modern (gawd-aweful) squareish buildings with flat roofs. Very close together.

We had a five or ten foot height advantage against our foes. But they had a funnelator. a funnelator is a funnel, attached to about twelve feet of surgical tubing. Two guys holding the ends of the tubing, and one guy pulling back the funnel (snowball enclosed). A jumbo, three-man slingshot. (You may have seen these at sproting events boosting tee shirts to the fans in the cheap seats...

Anyway, a guy in our dorm goes to the stairwell and shines a moon at the other dorm, more or less level with the roof.

They put a snowball through 3/8" tempered plate glass, through his legs. I wonder what he told 'em at the infirmary whne he got his cuts dressed...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:33 pm
I have heard of being violated before, but that one hurt! Did you hear my groan all the way in Buzzards Bay?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:37 pm
His punishment was self-defined.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:03 pm
Hmmmmmmmmm........
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:12 pm
It's my contitutional right! As long as there are no children around it's a perfectly decent way to express one's self.

( I )
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 10:04 pm
Gawd! <snicker>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 06:09 pm
Well, according to some, gawd made the buttocks which provide the raw material....
0 Replies