Painting looks VERY old. Any ideas?

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 04:11 pm
Hi All,

This painting looks quite old. I cannot find any identifying marks on the front and have not yet been able to look on the back side.
Any ideas about this painting? Artist? Time period? Value? It is between four and five feet wide.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101803053055557782922/OldPainting?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMvX94CNlf6bnQE&feat=directlink

Many thanks,

Tom
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 04:24 pm
@wubbawubba,
I wouldn't say quite old, but of course I don't know.

Will be interested in what others say.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:26 am
It looks as if it was painted right on the canvas or linen without any priming. If that is accurate then it would age faster, as priming keeps the base cloth more preserved. I don't have any ideas about how old it may be or who painted it. It is interesting.
0 Replies

wubbawubba

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 04:05 pm
@wubbawubba,
It does indeed appear to be painting without priming. Still at a loss as to who painted it and when.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 04:15 pm
@wubbawubba,
Hi, wubba. This painting is oddly memorable.
If I see anything like it, this one will come to mind.

I once had a rather lovely painting from my parents after they died. Just a painting of a house, but likable in itself and dear to me. I even know who the artist was.
One day decades later I decided to wash it, and sprinkled it on the porch with the hose. (I'm a painter, my oil painting can take being lightly wetted.) The whole thing cracked and fell off before my eyes. I felt terrible. I do have a photo of it, but that makes me feel worse now, hate my lack of brains that day.

The fellow who painted it was the guy who did the original US Army Air Force seal - my father knew him, and my father got one of the three casts, Gen. Hap Arnold one of the others. I know him from my father as Chip Wood, but I trust he was known formally as Charles Wood.

So - I am wondering if this painting you are asking about is from near that time - the forties? late thirties?
This is the painting I killed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/IMG_0001.jpg

Nothing like your painting, but maybe yours is from a painter who didn't prime back in those years?
0 Replies

wubbawubba

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 03:40 pm
@wubbawubba,
I am not sure of the age at all, unfortunately.
0 Replies