Replace window with glass block

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:05 pm
We have the tiniest pre-fab shower stall of America. The only wall that can use to expand it has a window. The space is 58" wide, and I believe standard tubs are 60", SO my big idea is to remove the shower stall, replace the window with glass block, and tile in our own shower surround. Is this possible? I only have the "big picture" and the how-to details are a bit scary to me. Has anyone out there done this? Any tips or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,382 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:35 pm
I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't remove the window, replace with stud wall, and tile that side, with appropriate backing, thus losing the window but gaining a tile wall. You could possibly add a narrow but tall window elsewhere, if there is room. My main concern is - does glass block go with your house's architecture? Much glass block looks either dated or like a design mistake, in my opinion. You could also put a clerestory window high up on the wall... thus getting both light and tile.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:40 pm
Also, you might be able to find non standard tubs, or sort of smallish shower tubs (Kohler?); then there are japanese ofuro's, probably an exotic idea, but interesting.
0 Replies