The Value of Topic Tagging

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 05:04 am
@sozobe,
I usually go to "My Posts", and then, "New Posts". I rarely search by tags, but will simply pass the Lovatt's threads.

What I find mean spirited is when one of my posts, which might be a perfectly innocuous one, is given a "O". Hey, if a person dislikes what I am saying, I would expect that he either ignore the post (or all of my posts, for that matter), or discuss what he finds objectionable with me. To me, rating a post "O" is very immature.

If a person has something to say to me, he should say it!!!
JTT

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 07:49 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
If a person has something to say to me, he should say it!!!

Let me say that there are women that frequent A2K, too, P.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Yes he or she should, but that's not always the A2K way.

Cowards, even in a venue of anonymity, abound.
JTT

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Should we name a few, FINN?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:23 pm
@JTT,
Let's:

Coward #1: JTT
JTT

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's even more delusional than your average post, Finn. Care to do a count of how many times you respond to me versus how many times I respond to you.

Need I point out that it was you who said, one post ago,

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 09:51 am
IIRC, hostile tagging was one of the reasons "Montana" left this site.

Here's an idea for getting rid of it:

What if, instead of all tags receiving equal weight in determining which forums a thread ended up in, Robert decided to weight tags by the post-count of the user who created them? (So my decisions on how to tag a thread would be weighted at 10, osso's at 80k, Dutchy's at 170k, etc. -- or whatever those members are currently up to.)

This would prevent people from creating no-post dummy accounts for the sole purpose of engaging in tag wars.

In order to protect newbies from hostile tagging against their threads, the OP's tags could be given a weight of 100k, regardless of the OP's post-count.
aspvenom

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 10:05 am
@Kolyo,
I wanna haggle the OP's tag weight. Let's say 200k. That's the least I can go with what there is to work with.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 12:20 pm
@Kolyo,
Swell. JTT's tags are worth double the weight of yours.
Kolyo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:04 pm
@roger,
It would probably be simple to just make everyone's equal weight, but have tags only start counting for anything when the user's post-count got to 100 posts. That way anti-American extremists would get drowned out in tag wars the way they do now, with the difference that if I attacked someone, I would have to put my actual name on the attack instead inventing some no-post account called "oylok307" and tagging people from that account, which no one would ever discover since I'd never posted from it.

In all seriousness, man, something ought to be done about some of these tags. It isn't particularly good for your site when tags like "Republican idiot" start appearing, is it? ****, I'm a lifelong (sometimes militant) Democrat, and even I find that tag sad.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:13 pm
@Kolyo,
You are mistaken. Plenty of fools post a lot (I'll offer myself as an example).

I'm interested in how you know Montana.

I tag a lot too. I've tagged offensively from anger a couple of times and erased it just after. I get the instinct to do that.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:17 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

It would probably be simple to just make everyone's equal weight, but have tags only start counting for anything when the user's post-count got to 100 posts. That way anti-American extremists would get drowned out in tag wars the way they do now, with the difference that if I attacked someone, I would have to put my actual name on the attack instead inventing some no-post account called "oylok307" and tagging people from that account, which no one would ever discover since I'd never posted from it.

Here is where I get this person has no sense of humor.

In all seriousness, man, something ought to be done about some of these tags. It isn't particularly good for your site when tags like "Republican idiot" start appearing, is it? ****, I'm a lifelong (sometimes militant) Democrat, and even I find that tag sad.

You lack perspective, that's me with the italics.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
I like Montana. I am guessing you are related to her.

Shutting off opinions isn't all that useful. Answering them is better, or if you have answered a lot, ignoring is also workable.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm interested in how you know Montana.

I don't know that person, apart from having witnessed a brief appearance that she made here some time ago.

I used to post here as Oylok (which is just "Kolyo" backwards), back in the day when I had way too much time on my hands. Back in those days I would peruse the site and check out lots of user profiles, not just Montana's. I mentioned that person in particular because I remember complaints from that quarter about tag wars in particular.

But, whatever, the tags don't particularly bother ME all that much...

And, yes, I could tell roger was joking -- of course. Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:10 pm
@Kolyo,
Ok, thanks, got it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 06:26 pm
@Kolyo,
Well, fan me with a blowtorch. I added oylok to my 'follow' list some time ago. I should have recognized the avatar. I'll stick in Kolyo in case you decide to stick around.
0 Replies