Touching films about madness

ossobuco

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:43 am
@Butrflynet,
Excellent link.

A forgotten one in that list that I saw and was affected by was Camille Claudel. I could stand to see that again.
0 Replies

nextone

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:44 am
@Roberta,
Bartleby might be the greatest "inaction movie" never made in 4D...extra D for depression.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:46 am
Might not be 'touching,' but you should check out Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

djjd62

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:46 am
Titanic

only a lunatic would waste their precious time watching this drivel
0 Replies

xperimentalchef

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 04:03 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I dunno if this your kind of vein of madness, but the film "Pi" is by far one of my favorite. It follows a mathematicians decent into madness as he slowly uncovers a formula that connections him to organized crime, economic markets and religious sects.
Definitely a great watch.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 26 Nov, 2012 06:23 pm
@nextone,
The Man Who Would Be King - I read the book. Maybe I should look up the movie.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 07:36 pm
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Have seen a few and downloaded the rest, it's really useful to have this list so many thanks again.

Quote:
Just a side note, your request is a little vague. Are you looking for movies on any particular bit of mental illness? Madness has a certain very negative connotation but it can be used to cover (badly) a great deal of mental illness based/centric movies.

Yeah, sorry the request was vague, just because basically I wanted to get a wide spectrum of ideas and the text I'm working on is very open to a number of interpretations. I just wanted anything that could reveal a psychological portrait of what someone with 'madness'/mental health issues is actually thinking.

Brilliant Freso, yes, thank you I was going to look into Laing. Getting that book out tomorrow.
firefly

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 07:39 pm
@nextone,
Quote:
Repulsion..... Found this truly disturbing. Catherine Deneuve's performance is amazing.

I agree. And I think that film is one of the best depictions of madness.

Although not "madness", two movies dealing with dementia, Iris (with Judi Dench) and Away from Her (with Julie Christie) were both quite touching.

The novel, I Never Promised You a Rose Garden is a semi-autobiographical work about a young woman's treatment for a severe mental disorder, which, at the time, was diagnosed as schizophrenia, and it portrays the illness as it is experienced by the patient.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 07:45 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
An old boyfriend was into Laing. Worth a view.
Not my point of view, but I'm no expert.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:28 pm
The best one I remember is Family Life, by Ken Loach.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068569/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A more recent one, The Science of Dreams:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354899/
0 Replies