LINCOLN...more than just another movie...

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 11:19 am
I just saw this movie last night. It was so mezmerizing I don't think I moved an inch in two hours.. At the end, I started sobbing. I couldn't seem to pull myself together. Daniel Day-Lewis WAS Lincoln. It was like meeting the man in person. It snapped into perspective the ridiculous petitions for secession currently being thrown about. It demonstrated shockingly how the positions of the Democratic and Republican parties have flipped completely. It made it clear that Abraham Lincoln would find no home in today's Republican party. I'm grateful that America had such a man as Lincoln. And this was moviemaking at its best. Go see it if you can.

Setanta

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 11:29 am
Based on actual fiction?
mags314772

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:15 pm
@Setanta,
whatever you need to believe...
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:23 pm
It is no skin off my nose, i don't need to believe anything . . . i'm just extrapolating from my experience of motion pictures . . .
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 12:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Based on actual fiction?

I've never seen this type of credit before on IMDb:
Quote:
Doris Kearns Goodwin (book) (in part)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/
mags314772

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 01:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for posting that. More truth here than in the usual movie bio
tsarstepan

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 02:07 pm
@mags314772,
I do understand Set's skepticism. It's Steven Spielberg afterall. He has a reputation as a high class schlock/populist director albeit a great one at that.

He's one of the main inspirations behind my Urban Dictionary word:
Quote:
Oscarbuster 52 up, 3 down
{os-ker-buhs-ter}
noun
a cinematically manipulated Hollywood studio produced motion picture, especially one lavishly produced melodrama, that has or is expected to boldly WOW the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and subsequently obtain a Best Picture Oscar award for the studio and film producers.

Similar to: Oscar Bait
With a touch of makeup, Harvey Weinstein aged Justin Timberlake to star in the producers $200million dollar Bill Clinton/Monicagate Oscarbuster biopic.

oscars oscar awards best picture hollywood oscar buster oskarbuster oskars academy awards movies films film awards award worthy oscar bait
by AcademynominatedTsar Dec 14, 2011

Oscarbuster, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Oscarbuster
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 03:10 pm
New Yorker review: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2012/11/19/121119crci_cinema_lane
mags314772

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 08:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Also from the New Yorker:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/11/six-footnotes-lincoln-spielberg-kushner.html
ossobuco

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 08:11 pm
@mags314772,
I checked out for seconds at a time a link or two on Lincoln maybe being gay, which sounded like a maybe at first scan, but I didn't save the links.
Lustig Andrei

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 09:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you for not saving the links, Osso. That "Lincoln may have been gay" bs has been done to death elsewhere. We don't need baseless revisionism here. Again, thank you.
ossobuco

Sat 17 Nov, 2012 09:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Kushner the writer..

I've no view at all on this one, but I don't shut it off.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 18 Nov, 2012 09:33 pm
Good review in The New York Times
http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/movies/lincoln-by-steven-spielberg-stars-daniel-day-lewis.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:24 pm
this is a good way to spend 3 hours. I would be interested to hear expert opinion on how much evidence there is to support Spielbergs interpretation. the experience felt like this is a piece of liberalism propaganda, but I am open to being convinced that it is not.

have we any Confederacy sympathizers here who will vouch for this flick?
firefly

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 09:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Doris Kearns Goodwin is one of the country's leading Presidential historians. Her highly regarded book on Lincoln was the basis for the film.
Quote:
In 1999, she was consulted by Steven Spielberg as part of his research about a film he wanted to make about Abraham Lincoln. Goodwin revealed that she was working on a book, entitled "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln". Spielberg immediately expressed interest in using this book as the basis for his film, and Dreamworks Pictures finalized the film rights in 2001. The book itself was not published until 2005.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0329447/bio

Quote:
Goodwin won the 2005 Lincoln Prize, awarded for the best book about the American Civil War, for Team of Rivals, a book about Abraham Lincoln's presidential cabinet. She is a member of the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission advisory board. The book also won the inaugural American History Book Prize given by the New-York Historical Society.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Kearns_Goodwin

I am puzzled by why you wouldn't rely on historical accuracy, rather than A2K "Confederacy sympathizers", to help you evaluate the characters and events in the film. There are certainly enough books on the subject available for you to read, beside Doris Kearns Goodwin's 900 page book that took her a decade to complete.

0 Replies

2PacksAday

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 10:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'll be your huckleberry.....give me a few months and I'll get back to you.....whenever it comes out on HBO.

p.s. I thought all films were liberal propaganda.
hawkeye10

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 10:49 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

I'll be your huckleberry.....give me a few months and I'll get back to you.....whenever it comes out on HBO.

p.s. I thought all films were liberal propaganda.

the only time that the South is not regarded with disdain in this movie is at the very end when they are said to have enough sense to surrender. another problem with this movie is that the majority of it is taken up with the telling of a morality tale about how evil slavery is, and evilness of those who supported it. the only deviation from this that I noticed was one case of someone saying that some in the North were driving to get rid of slavery not because they had a moral problem with it, but because they could not compete against the economy based upon the plantation system.

Spielberg chose to make this movie mostly about race relations, which I think makes it one note and not a very true representation of history. the idea that the war was all about race relations is often proposed by the liberals here, but I have always objected to this reading as myopic, it is about the tellers politics not history as it happened and was experienced by those who lived through it

this movie is a liberalism love fest for sure, whether it has much to do with history IDK even though a respected historian wrote the book the screenplay is said to be based upon.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 20 Nov, 2012 10:58 pm
@mags314772,
Quote:
Daniel Day-Lewis WAS Lincoln.

so you were there then, you knew Mr Lincoln......how is it that you are also here with us now?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 04:28 am
This film is wildly inaccurate, there's absolutely nothing about his vampire hunting, unlike the last film where they did a bang up job.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Wed 21 Nov, 2012 08:20 pm
Lincoln is one of my favorite presidents, Daniel Day Lewis is one of my favorite actors.....

....I really liked him as Hawkeye, the James Fenimore Cooper, Natty Bumpo/Hawkeye of course, not to be confused with the Alan Alda touchy feely harbinger of the new sensitive male, Hawkeye Pierce....which makes me wonder, who was the first "Metro-sexual"? Was it perhaps Regis Philbin, that would be my guess, yep.....and again, I mean the little guy that used to yell a lot on the mornin tv Regis, not the guy who hangs around a2k, that is married to Jes, looks like Will Patton, Regis {Region if you wanna get picky}. Sorry for any confusion.

......so I'm assuming full bore that I will like the film on those two merits alone. As to whether or not the film will come across as overtly preachy to me...depends, you know....most of the time, having learned to do it, I am able to block out the hidden agendas of directors, or writers, and enjoy the film/book etc....Often, not naming any names, writers will either take a Northern or a Southern slant when it comes to the whole Civil War subject. I'll be the first to admit, that it can be difficult to remain totally unbiased with such a charged issue, some are just better at keeping it all in perspective or to a minimum. I will just have to wait and see,

Lincoln, hated slavery....as any true American, or any believer of these words should...."that all men are created equal"
0 Replies