Days of the Twinkie may be numbered

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
I was reading that jobs that were paying $16+ with bennies AFTER all the givebacks are now paying less than $12 and few bennies with the hope of getting to $14 eventually. the unions miscalculated for sure.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 07:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
twinkies have shrunk by 10%, and I'll bet that labor costs to make a twinkie have shrunk by 25%, and yet they sell for the old price.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 07:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have a feeling people will be losing interest after the novelty wears off.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2013 08:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am not hearing about new owners improving the recipe any, which had been cheapened several times. trying to sell smaller crap for the same money and making production jobs low pay jobs is not a sustsinable plan. old management seems to have concluded the costs were their only problem but the product was a huge problem too, they refused to adapt to changing tastes and they took the quality down. I am not seeing yet that new owners are any smarter.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 11:56 pm
Quote:
Baked goods maker Hostess Brands LLC said today it will close its bakery in Schiller Park.
A Hostess spokesman said the company will close the bakery, where Twinkies were first invented, to "enhance its production and distribution capabilities and efficiencies."

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140820/NEWS07/140829986/hostess-to-close-schiller-park-bakery

We cant know how revenues are going because this is a private company, but shutting 25% of the production space they just bought is not a good sign.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 04:58 am
I used to like Twinkies, long ago. But the present day product is an insult. It would not be a loss if they shut down production, in my view. Unless you factor in those low wage jobs being lost.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 10:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Not only have they not kept up with modern tastes, but they have over the decades cheapened the recipe, a lot. I said that the solution is to introduce new flavors and improve the recipe. New owners dont seem to be interested in that. The only thing that hints that Hostess might survive on the plan to max price and min costs while not improving the product is that Flowers Foods was not able to hold onto the market share they had gained while Hostess was closed.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 07:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
little debbies are in the same boat. They've gone in for these ultra decorated little seasonal cakes that taste like they are frosted with sugar infused paraffin . We use em for bear bait in Maine
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 09:43 pm
@farmerman,
Americans eat pretty much as much crap as we ever have, but there are some things that Americans eat good quality of and we refuse to give it up. Bread and coffee certainly fit, and I think baked goods do as well. From what I have seen white trash in the South might be an exception to this rule, but I neither live there or visit so I am not sure.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 09:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hostess Columbus under old ownership had 430 employees, new owner had as of sep last year 200 with 75 of those on call. Emporia KS is the only bakery of the 4 new owners bought that they planned to modernize but as of feb it only had 32o employees and I have not seen yet if they ever spent the money. Not sure what is going on with the last bakery but all that I have seen so far indicates that Hostess is going nowhere under new ownership, which is what I predicted. Bimbo buying it and moving all production to Mexico where sugar and labor are cheaper might have made sense, but that is not what happened.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 10:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Indianapolis was at 288 headcount under old ownership, reopened at 145 and new owners intended to put $10 million into the plant, but I dont see that it ever happened.

So now we know that the chicago plant was by far the largest, and now it is gone.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 12:41 am
Quote:
Hostess Brands LLC says the spongy yellow cakes will have a shelf life of 45 days when they start hitting shelves again July 15. That's nearly three weeks longer than the 26 days the previous owner had stated as the shelf life for Twinkies.
A spokeswoman for Hostess, Hannah Arnold, says the change to extend the shelf life was actually made by the old company that went bankrupt, with the longer-lasting cakes first hitting shelves on Nov. 1 of last year.

But the old company went out of business and stopped production just weeks after that, meaning the Twinkies most people are familiar with had the shorter lifespan.
Arnold declined to say what changes were made to extend the shelf life, saying that it is proprietary information.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Twinkies-To-Last-Longer-On-Shelves-Than-Before-214797661.html

No ****, because almost certainly there was no recipe change, new ownership is simply willing to have twice as old product represent the brand to save money.

we can now pretty conclusively say that did not go over well with consumers. The old Twinkies that people claimed to love when they thought it was the last twinkie they would ever eat does not go over well when the shelves are stocked full of old twinkies.

Quote:
The first Twinkies were quite different from the ones we know today. For one thing, they were made with banana cream filling — not vanilla. You see, in World War II, there was a banana shortage and so vanilla became the standard flavor.

The eggs, milk and butter in early Twinkies gave them a shelf life of only two days.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/news/local/the-twinkie-to-return/article_dddbcf58-e5e0-11e2-a047-0019bb2963f4.html

In the hedge fund business they call selling old product progress.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 02:30 am
Quote:
- The private-equity owners of Hostess Brands LLC are planning to put the maker of Twinkies and other snack cakes up for sale in early 2015, potentially valuing it at more than $1.7 billion, including debt, people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Apollo Global Management LLC and C. Dean Metropoulos & Co., which bought Hostess Brands out of bankruptcy for $410 million in March 2013, have received inquiries from some potential buyers about selling the cake business, the people said.

Hostess Brands is also having conversations with investment banks Rothschild, Credit Suisse Group AG and Perella Weinberg Partners about advisory roles they are likely to have in a potential sale, the people said.

The sources asked not to be identified because the discussions are private. Apollo, Credit Suisse and Rothschild declined to comment, while Metropoulos, Hostess Brands and Perella Weinberg did not immediately respond to requests by the news agency for comment.

Deliberations over a potential sale, first reported by The New York Post on November 11, follow a remarkable turnaround in the past year and a half spearheaded by Apollo and Metropoulos, a consumer industry veteran.

http://www.cspnet.com/category-news/snacks-candy/articles/hostess-sale

Apparently I was wrong about these guys running Hostess. History is going to record this as a win. They did it by

1) Putting in some new machines (though in limited numbers) to drive up production while cutting labor, Where as Hostess used I think it was 16 plants to produce cakes new owners started with 4 and now have 3.

2) letting stuff sit on the shelf for longer because they dont care about quality

3) Massively cutting labor costs by getting rid of union rules, paying people a lot less, and stocking shelves from central distribution centers rather than route salesmen. The getting rid of salesman/shelf stockers was huge.

4) Shrinking portions I think, though I dont eat the stuff

5) cutting products

I still think that the game plan to produce very low quality very high sugar and highly preserved cakes and treats is a plan for theath, but current owners might have been able to by these brands off the scrap heap, apply cost cutting, and then sell it at a great profit. There is some money to be made in selling crap to Americans.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 02:40 am
@hawkeye10,
This is what the former union said (and I think maybe new union)

Quote:
“The long-term viability of this effort is highly uncertain,” David Durkee, the union’s president, said in a July 2013 letter. “Rather than hire professional, experienced bakers who have produced quality snack cakes in the company’s bakeries for decades, Hostess management has chosen instead to hire primarily workers with little or no experience in the demanding wholesale snack cake baking industry.

“The B.C.T.G.M. has consistently stated our interest in working cooperatively and productively with the new owners of this company. We have always maintained that the experience, skill and professionalism of our members offer the new owners, who have no experience in the wholesale snack cake business, the best chance for long-term success in consistently putting out a quality product.”

http://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/news_home/Business/2014/07/Workers_vote_to_unionize_at_th.aspx?ID=%7BE536AED9-664E-406E-B9BF-35BD1EA9F777%7D&cck=1
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 07:45 am
#TBT
Hdcwilliam

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hello everybody
I am a person who likes to eat baked goods, but I wonder about the nutrition of a barbecue is like? Does it meet the needs of our body? Anybody commenting on this issue help me?
Thank you
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 12:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2018 01:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10:01 pm
@tsarstepan,

0 Replies