CIA Chief Petraeus resigns as result of extra-marital affair

BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
this woman is hot and smart and in all into Petraeus. who would blame him for saying yes to the opportunity?

She was also a graduate of West Point and at one point an officer in the US military herself from what I had read.

All the more surprising that if the news reports are correct she went off the deep end and send out harassing emails to his email list.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:16 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
All the more surprising that if the news reports are correct she went off the deep end and send out harassing emails to his email list.

you are joking right, cause up till now I said that you know enough about women that "surprising" is not a word that you would use here.

still, my bet is that is was her hubby.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:21 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
As director of the CIA? Yes. Other positions? Probably not.

Positions such as roughly half of the Presidents of the US and the allies military leader during WW2 for example does not call for removable but the CIA director does for having an affair?

Kennedy is said to had have an affair with the girlfriend of a mob boss for example.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:31 pm
@BillRM,
John Kennedy had more affairs beyond a mob boss's girlfriend.
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:45 pm
Now to address the bad judgment to give his mistress access to his gmail private account first such mail is not secure in any real sense even if they do now use SLL connections when uploading or downloading from them.

Beside using personal questions to allow regaining access to those accounts can be a great weakness god know how many google employees have the ability to read the mail contain in them and the mail itself go over the net in unencrypted form.

Perhaps no one with a high security clearance should be allow to have such private accounts as any information on them is not all that secure even without a mad mistress with the password.

I assume that anything in my email account is just one step from becoming public information and never never place anything of a private nature on them and when I do from time to time need to transmitted private information I encrypted the files/email.
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
John Kennedy had more affairs beyond a mob boss's girlfriend

Of course he did but that affair did at the time raised national security issues to the point that Hoover by way of Kennedy brother the AG send him a warning over it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:50 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Positions such as roughly half of the Presidents of the US and the allies military leader during WW2 for example does not call for removable but the CIA director does for having an affair?

I'm still following the line that Patraeus quit rather than he was removed. Is there something other than speculation to say otherwise?
JPB

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:51 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Is there something other than speculation to say otherwise?

No
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 12:51 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Perhaps no one with a high security clearance should be allow to have such private accounts

that was the Army rule for years, but the army did a colossally poor job of running AKO in general and also they abused their ability to access and monitor conversations. even soldiers have no interest in Chinese style internet, it was not consistent with what our soldiers believe that they are fighting for, so the Army had to relent.
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Remember Hawkeye when for security reasons they wished to take away Obama blackberry when he became president and he had a fit over the very idea?

Lucky blackberry had great security out of the box and NSA then did some magic to harden it farther so he could keep it.
revelette

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:06 pm
From what I can gather, it is more complicated than merely someone having an affair.

Quote:
Government officials said that the F.B.I. began an investigation into a “potential criminal matter” several months ago that was not focused on Mr. Petraeus. In the course of their inquiry into whether a computer used by Mr. Petraeus had been compromised, agents discovered evidence of the relationship as well as other security concerns. About two weeks ago, F.B.I. agents met with Mr. Petraeus to discuss the investigation.

Administration and Congressional officials identified the woman as Paula Broadwell, the co-author of a biography of Mr. Petraeus. Her book, “All In: The Education of General David Petraeus,” was published this year. Ms. Broadwell could not be reached for comment.

source

I'm a little confused over the wording whether they were investigating something else and came across Petraeus's computer possibly being breached or if the "criminal matter" was the possibility of Petraeus's computer being breached. The reason for my confusion is because it said at first Petraeus was not the focus.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:12 pm
@BillRM,
also in modern war theaters the military provided internet to the war fighters because they would otherwise revolt, but massive numbers of sites are blocked, the excuse given is to cut down on bandwidth supplied and to allow enough for everyone to get some access. this has been controversial, as well has been the order that all personal blogs must be registered with command, subject to monitoring, and must be taken down when ordered. all would be fine if the government showed through their behavior that what they care about is fairness and OPSEC (operations security) as claimed, but they do not.
JPB

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:35 pm
Interesting take on the Patraeus "affair"

Quote:
For those who are professing shock that an affair happened here, I must hasten to add that the, ahem, exceptionally close relationship between Petraeus and his biographer-mentee-number one fan-running buddy, who also happened to be younger, chesty, super-fit, and fawning all over the guy at every opportunity, was something of an open secret in certain DC circles. I heard about it a couple years ago, and I have no claim to be the most networked guy on the planet.

David Petraeus deserves the nation’s gratitude for his leadership during the darkest years in Iraq, where he deserves credit for trying to fix a wicked problem. His solutions were flawed, but they were at least a serious effort to mend something very broken. His drive and determination were never in doubt and ought to serve as a model to our military, even if some of his other choices seem less inspired.

The only people in this suddenly rather sordid story who need sympathy are Mrs. Petraeus, Mr. Broadwell, and their children.
Lots more here

Written by this guy
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:49 pm
@JPB,
so when he was vetted for the CIA gig he was certainly asked. I bet he told the truth, but maybe the sex came latter...

this still adds up a being a get out of jail card to me.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:51 pm
@JPB,
Thanks, helpful article.

I've liked Petraeus, as I mentioned, from what I've read, seems smart. Except I happen to hate drones..
But if I get picky, I'll end up saying I hate the military, and I don't, much as I've had qualms about whole segments of our military endeavors over many years.
The sword falling move is interesting. I'm presently with Senator Diane Feinstein who said she didn't think he had to resign.
Will read along, perhaps we'll learn more.
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye I can almost feel sorry for the military as they do need security in a war zone but allowing internet access to any degree means that for anyone with some knowledge can have full access to the net.

Beside such software as tor that the government itself created to allow secure and untraceable access over the internet all anyone would need to do is have a friend in the states run proxy software on their computer to have completely access to the net by way of a proxy SSL connections.

Of course the government can take counter measures but overall it is a losing battle as not even the great firewall of Chinese can control access to the net.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 01:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
so when he was vetted for the CIA gig he was certainly asked. I bet he told the truth, but maybe the sex came latter...

That bring up the interesting question of whether lie detectors are use for security clearances even at the director level or not.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:02 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

That bring up the interesting question of whether lie detectors are use for security clearances even at the director level or not.

Even with today's improved technology, polygraphs are a loooong way from being infallible or even very reliable. Nobody in the business calls them "lie detectors" any more because, clearly, they are not. That's a term that went out of use in the early 1960s.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:02 pm
@JPB,
I whole-heartedly agree.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm presently with Senator Diane Feinstein who said she didn't think he had to resign.

some say he did, but so far the majority of commentators seem to be going the other way. the generals claimed morality position here is difficult to take seriously...he is fine with a long standing appearance of impropriety but once evidence is out that he did it he must quit even though the commander it is claimed told him that he did not??!!

it does not add up, which leads me to believe that he wanted out of the CIA