CIA Chief Petraeus resigns as result of extra-marital affair

revelette

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:02 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Ms. Kelley, a volunteer with wounded veterans and military families, brought her complaint to a rank-and-file agent she knew from a previous encounter with the F.B.I. office, the official also said. That agent, who had previously pursued a friendship with Ms. Kelley and had earlier sent her shirtless photographs of himself, was “just a conduit” for the complaint, he said. He had no training in cybercrime, was not part of the cyber squad handling the case and was never assigned to the investigation.

But the agent, who was not identified, continued to “nose around” about the case, and eventually his superiors “told him to stay the hell away from it, and he was not invited to briefings,” the official said. The Wall Street Journal first reported on Monday night that the agent had been barred from the case.

Later, the agent became convinced — incorrectly, the official said — that the case had stalled. Because of his “worldview,” as the official put it, he suspected a politically motivated cover-up to protect President Obama. The agent alerted Eric Cantor, the House majority leader, who called the F.B.I. director, Robert S. Mueller III, on Oct. 31 to tell him of the agent’s concerns.

The official said the agent’s self-described “whistle-blowing” was “a little embarrassing” but had no effect on the investigation.

I am curious as to why the FBI agent thought this story would have adversely affected Obama before the election other than serve as a major distraction?
revelette

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:05 am
@engineer,
Quote:
That's 34 pages of information a day, every day for two years to someone who is not in the military and not on the same continent.

Maybe a very ardent would be or maybe actual lover writing an awful lot of love notes?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:33 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

Quote:
The agent alerted Eric Cantor, the House majority leader, who called the F.B.I. director, Robert S. Mueller III, on Oct. 31 to tell him of the agent’s concerns.

wasn't Reichert in there between the agent and Cantor? seems like none of these reports are keeping their pieces in order
firefly

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:40 am
@engineer,
Quote:
That's 34 pages of information a day, every day for two years to someone who is not in the military and not on the same continent.

That doesn't mean they were talking about national security issues. Teenage girls can probably text and message more than that.

These people, all of the players in this situation, moved in the same social circles and had friendships--and possibly sexual liaisons, beside the Petraeus/Broadwell one--with each other. They could have been exchanging the same boring, mundane, trivial information, and humor material, with each other that we do with our friends and relatives. Particularly if they were far apart, they might have been even more chatty, just to feel connected.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:41 am
@revelette,
It's just been reported that it was more likely 200 - 300 emails sent over a number of years - from yet another unidentified source. It's early days and there's been conflicting reports and conflicting dates.

The jury's still out on this one - even if we get to the same facts by everyone, nobody really knows how true each item is. Especially with the FBI and CIA - they could put whatever spin on it they want. You know they only tell you what they deem you should know.

I agree with Firefly, actually, about it probably only being a sex scandal.

You gotta wonder about that idiot Paula, though. If their affair was finished, what business was it of hers if Petraeus was indeed having another affair? What a whackjob.
JPB

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:48 am
@ehBeth,
Yes.

The Tampa agent's "worldview" infers to me that he was buying into the Petreaus/Benghazi cover-up conspiracy being thrown around by some in the conservative media.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:48 am
@Mame,
Quote:
You gotta wonder about that idiot Paula, though. If their affair was finished, what business was it of hers if Petraeus was indeed having another affair? What a whackjob.

The affair hadn't ended when Paula began badgering the other woman--it didn't end until two months later. Petraeus should have ended it when he found out Paula was sending those crazy e-mails to Kelley, but he didn't. It was Paula's possessiveness, and lousy judgment, that caused the lid to be blown off this whole business.
Mame

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:53 am
@firefly,
Of course - had she not sent those harassing emails, none of this would have happened. Have a hard time believing there are so many sordid people out there. Is everyone in government bed-hopping? yech.
BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 09:58 am
@firefly,
Quote:
The only possible criminal activity would have been on Paula Broadwell's part for sending harrassing and threatening e-mails, and apparently those messages didn't rise to the level of crimes since no action against her was taken.

It is a military crime to have an affair with a married person or an affair when you are married and it is not a minor crime either.

So at least the current general could have a legal problem.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:02 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Is everyone in government bed-hopping? yech.

It's nothing new in government--it just gets exposed more now,

And now it's getting more exposed in the military as well.
Quote:
The New York Times
November 12, 2012
Concern Grows Over Top Military Officers’ Ethics
By THOM SHANKER

WASHINGTON — Along with a steady diet of books on leadership and management, the reading list at military “charm schools” that groom officers for ascending to general or admiral includes an essay, “The Bathsheba Syndrome: The Ethical Failure of Successful Leaders,” that recalls the moral failure of the Old Testament’s King David, who ordered a soldier on a mission of certain death — solely for the chance to take his wife, Bathsheba.

The not-so-subtle message: Be careful out there, and act better.

Despite the warnings, a worrisomely large number of senior officers have been investigated and even fired for poor judgment, malfeasance and sexual improprieties or sexual violence — and that is just in the last year.

Gen. William Ward of the Army, known as Kip, the first officer to open the new Africa Command, came under scrutiny for allegations of misusing tens of thousands of government dollars for travel and lodging.

Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair, a former deputy commander of the 82nd Airborne Division in Afghanistan, is confronting the military equivalent of a grand jury to decide whether he should stand trial for adultery, sexual misconduct and forcible sodomy, stemming from relationships with five women.

James H. Johnson III, a former commander of the 173rd Airborne Brigade, was expelled from the Army, fined and reduced in rank to lieutenant colonel from colonel after being convicted of bigamy and fraud stemming from an improper relationship with an Iraqi woman and business dealings with her family.

The Air Force is struggling to recover from a scandal at its basic training center at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, where six male instructors were charged with crimes including rape and adultery after female recruits told of sexual harassment and sexual assault.

In the Navy, Rear Adm. Charles M. Gaouette was relieved of command of the Stennis aircraft carrier strike group — remarkably while the task force was deployed in the Middle East. Officials said that the move was ordered after “inappropriate leadership judgment.” No other details were given.

While there is no evidence that David H. Petraeus had an extramarital affair while serving as one of the nation’s most celebrated generals, his resignation last week as director of the Central Intelligence Agency — a job President Obama said he could take only if he left the Army — was a sobering reminder of the kind of inappropriate behavior that has cast a shadow over the military’s highest ranks.

Those concerns were only heightened on Tuesday when it was revealed that Gen. John R. Allen, the top American and NATO commander in Afghanistan, is under investigation for what a senior defense official said was “inappropriate communication” with Jill Kelley, the woman in Tampa, Fla., who was seen as a rival for Mr. Petraeus’s attentions by Paula Broadwell, who had an extramarital affair with Mr. Petraeus.

The episodes have prompted concern that something may be broken, or at least fractured, across the military’s culture of leadership. Some wonder whether its top officers have forgotten the lessons of Bathsheba: The crown of command should not be worn with arrogance, and while rank has its privileges, remember that infallibility and entitlement are not among them.

David S. Maxwell, a retired Army colonel now serving as associate director for security studies at Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University, said that the instances of failed or flawed leadership “are tragic and serious,” but that he doubts there are more today, on a relative scale, than in the past.

Mr. Maxwell noted that Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt, both wartime presidents, fired many more generals than Presidents George W. Bush or Obama. “These general and flag officers are humans,” he said. “Faced with stress, and a very complex combat environment, people make mistakes. These incidents do not represent the vast majority of our senior leaders.”

Like the troops, wartime commanders are separated from family for long periods, and the weight of responsibility — in a business where the metric of failure is a body bag, not the bottom line — bears heavily.

Still, with drivers and staff, private quarters and guaranteed hot meals, the lifestyle of the top echelon of commanders on the battlefield offers a significant buffer from the hourly rigors of frontline combat endured by the troops. So explanations differ for the lapses.

Paul V. Kane, a Marine Corps Reserve gunnery sergeant who is an Iraq veteran and former fellow of Harvard University’s International Security Program, believes the military is not the only institution facing a problem. “The country is suffering a crisis of leadership — in politics, in business and in the church, as well as in the military,” he said. “We have lots of leaders, but we have a national deficit in true leadership.”

He acknowledged that the post-9/11 stress on the military, from enlisted personnel to commanders, has fractured the very souls of people in uniform. “When you pull people out of family life, repeatedly, over the course of a decade, you are going to fray their most basic relationships with spouses, with children, with their own personal code,” Mr. Kane said.

Other national security experts warn that a decade of conflict shouldered by an all-volunteer force has separated those in uniform — about 1 percent of society — from the rest of the citizenry. Such a “military apart” is not healthy for the nation because the fighting force may begin to believe it operates under rules that are different from those the rest of civilian society follows, and perhaps with a separate set of benefits, as well.

“Our military is holding itself to a higher standard than the rest of American society,” said Kori N. Schake, an associate professor at West Point who has held senior policy positions at the Departments of State and Defense.

“That is beautiful and noble,” she added. “But it’s also disconcerting. Sometimes military people talk about being a Praetorian Guard at our national bacchanal. That’s actually quite dangerous for them to consider themselves different and better.”

In extreme cases, say some military officers and Pentagon officials, the result of this “military apart” is that commanders may come to view their sacrifice as earning them the right to disregard rules of conduct.

They note that if anything positive emerges from an era of increased scrutiny of misbehavior, it will be an invigorated effort to hold the officer corps to account for the way troops are led in combat, for the way the treasury is spent, for the way military leaders wear the mask of command.

And they warn that the problem may get worse before it gets better. While most of the more notable improprieties have been alleged against officers of the ground forces, the Navy, which has not been the fulcrum of the wars of the last decade, is also showing strain. A study by the Navy Times found more than 20 commanding officers were fired this year for inappropriate behavior and misconduct.

“The Navy’s time in the stress tester is coming,” said Peter D. Feaver, a professor of political science at Duke University. “The number of ships is dropping. The number of tours will increase. Reliance on the Navy instead of the Army to back up foreign policy will become greater over the next decade than the last. If the Navy is cracking under a past decade of strain, what will it mean for the Navy when it is in the hot seat?”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/us/petraeuss-resignation-highlights-concern-over-military-officers-ethics.html?hp
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:03 am
@revelette,
Quote:
I am curious as to why the FBI agent thought this story would have adversely affected Obama before the election other than serve as a major distraction?

Have you taken note that the right wingers anti-Obama posters on this website are all that logical as I had not.

So why would someone of a similar mindset working as a FBI agent be any more logical?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:10 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
apparently those messages didn't rise to the level of crimes since no action against her was taken.

the investigation apparently isn't complete so we'll just have to see if it remains at 'no action against her'

hard to be sympathetic towards any of them
BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:15 am
@Mame,
Quote:

We are at this point not even sure if the warn off emails was about Petraeus as she could have been having an affair also with Allen along with Jill Kelley.

If memory serve me correctly there was no name of the gentleman that Mrs Kelley should keep away from.
sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:17 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Yeah.

I think Petraeus hasn't really received enough of the blame in the talk about Broadwell's wiles and such.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:18 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

their spouses and children, otoh, have my complete sympathy.
BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:19 am
@JPB,
Quote:

Agree.........
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:20 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

And "yeah" to that as well. I saw a quote that Petraeus' wife Holly is "furious, to put it mildly," I was actually happy to see that. (So often they're sad but stoic and in stand-by-man mode. Even if she works things out with him, "furious" seems the appropriate response.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:31 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
If memory serve me correctly there was no name of the gentleman that Mrs Kelley should keep away from.

there was something about Mrs. Kelley's hand on Petraeus' leg during a dinner
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:33 am
Ve-ry Int-eresting.....

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8624514/chuck-klosterman-david-petraeus-scandal-living-cia-conspiracy-theory
sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:39 am
@JPB,
Quote:
But you know what I learned from this? Nothing. I learned nothing. It's just something that happened (and it just so happens that it happened to me). Life is crazy. But I already knew that last Thursday, and so did you.

Smile I haven't been a huge fan of his stint as the Ethicist but I like this.
0 Replies