do you know why or what you are created for?

abouebn

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 07:42 am
Everything is meant to perform something. are we only created to eat, drink, sleep, go to work and so on? or there is some noble goals of our existence. Of course, that is if you believe in creation idea.

JLNobody

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 09:35 am
@abouebn,
As far as I'm concerned everything (including us) comes into and out of existence for its own sake. No purpose, just Reality.
In a sense everything has intrinsic worth, not the extrinsic value suggested by talk about purpose, divine or otherwise.
fresco

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 10:46 am
@abouebn,
Quote:
Everything is meant to perform something. are we only created to eat, drink, sleep, go to work and so on? or there is some noble goals of our existence.

"Things" are defined as such by humans for human purposes. This applies to the things we call "us" to which we might assign "goals". In that sense it is we who do "the creating" (thinging)including the creation of goals. And when you say "meant to" you are merely stating a tautology about the nature of our "thinging" activity.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:07 am
@abouebn,
BTW I suggest that a Libyan Muslim such as you might give prominence to thoughts of "transcendence" as a result of your experience of a local uncertain political and military situation, Your profile suggests your interest in "dialogue" but you should note that all dialogue needs contextual reference which is often restrictive. It is quite common therefore that Westernn respondents such as myself, with relatively greater opportunities to control our lives, have little interest in what we see as religious palliatives to ease our existence. But it is unlikely that you will "understand" this for to do so would undermine the psychological "fix" you get from your faith.
0 Replies

abouebn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 06:36 am
@JLNobody,
(As far as I'm concerned everything (including us) comes into and out of existence for its own sake)
then do you think that you leave this world for your own sake too?
JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 09:25 am
@abouebn,
There is no "me" whose sake needs serving. One enters and leaves the world for the world's sake. Thank you for your Muslim perspective. My A2K colleagues have put up with my "Buddhist" perspective for many years now. I hope we do the same with you--for the world's sake.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:23 am
Well up to an extent I would re frame his question into asking why did nature evolved a conscious being like Man ?
I don't see any harm coming from asking what would be our usefulness in the world, or perhaps better put, to ask what is our place in the world ? although I can empathize with the idea that such question seams almost vain to do...but while I don't necessarily have to refer to the creation paradigm I can still refer to a pattern of increasing complexity and awareness evolving in living beings that needs some justification...is not all that clear that such question has no sense or addresses no goal !
0 Replies

abouebn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:48 am
@JLNobody,
Thank you for your offer. I have my own perspective. I can not worship a piece of stone and ask it to give me health and pelf and so on and was destroyed in Afghanistan and could not help its self. This world was here long before we entered it. And could have continued without us. It did not need us to spoil it because of our ignorance of the purpose of our being in it.
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:02 am
I have refrained from responding because you had very reasonably acknowledged your premises in the opening post (particularly the caveat of believing in a creation). However, i think either that you have missed JLN's point, or he did not express it well. Existence needs no justification. That you exist is sufficient as a purpose. Obviously, i don't believe in a creation.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:20 am
In all fairness if existence has or has no purpose I don't know, nor anyone knows for that matter, and the fact that we, ourselves, can find purpose in life doesn't sort that question either...if the question means to ask if we are particularly special as a species, like special special and not special as unique at large, as any species is unique in itself, then I would agree the question makes not much sense or perhaps presumes a lot...but there is in fact a pattern of progressive complexity in evolution that makes us wonder where it all is going to and why is it going that way and not any other way...perhaps awareness and intelligence are a natural part of the evolving process in this Universe but till we find a couple of civilizations out there the question remains...how special are we ? And where is it all heading to ?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:51 am
@abouebn,
I can tell you this, whatever idea of "God" as a meaningful word and as a valid question can be thought of, (I have my own very particular and abstract idea of "God") that idea to my view arises from the sense of UNITY in reality, of a rational in the world that we all as intelligent beings can observe and empathize with...the idea of unity in itself requires the concession that variety and differences also exist, why else would we need a rational if the world was all the same ? a "Rational" could very much be defined as a link between distinct things, things that although different share something in common, be it through Religions with their particular cultural specificity's and forms of worship, be it Science with its very abstract reverence to this uniting "Rational" in the world and its patterns, be it the common everyday life that we all have and share that although specific to region and culture is not that much alien when seen up close...in 2012 the existence and persistence of irreconcilable differences in perspective, are an aggression to this "Unity" this "Rational" in the world, perhaps to put it in your view, your "languaging", an aggression to God itself...if God is love because God is unity among what is different and distinct, differences should be celebrated as refreshing points of view and not a motto for a Civilization clash...We in the Occident have a lot to learn and improve also...for starters sharing responsibility instead of trying to control everything ourselves...
0 Replies

abouebn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:33 pm
@Setanta,
hi
why don't you believe in creation. (That you exist is sufficient as a purpose) that does not prevent you from asking and searching how you existed.
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:39 pm
do you know why or what you are created for?

why, i'm assuming it was what my parents thought was the sort of thing they should do at the time (early 1960's)

what, fucked if i know
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:02 pm
@abouebn,
abouebn wrote:
hi
why don't you believe in creation. (That you exist is sufficient as a purpose) that does not prevent you from asking and searching how you existed.

No, i've got a very good idea of the human reproductive process. As i've already explained, existence is its own purpose, and human reproduction explains why (or how, if you prefer) i exist.
abouebn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:06 pm
@djjd62,
would it hurt you if you knew. it is always better to know than not to know. may be you will find out that it is better to know.
djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:08 pm
@abouebn,
i doubt it, life begins and ends, try to have some fun and live it to the fullest in between, what more is there
0 Replies

abouebn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:13 pm
@Setanta,
i am not talking about you and me and others in this 21 centuries. the meant is the first man and woman on this land. how they sneaked into this universe. the following is normal.
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:17 pm
@abouebn,
The rise of life is normal, too. As far as i'm concerned, you're introducing an unnecessary step into the process.
abouebn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:24 pm
@Setanta,
good night every body. it is bed time for me
JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 07:57 pm
@abouebn,
I was recently asked by an elderly fundamentalist Christian if I believe in creation, that I am a creature of a creator. I answered that I see myself as more akin to a tree that has grown rather than a house that was built (created).
0 Replies