Here I go, Chicago

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:17 pm
Next week, 11th - 14th, I shall be in Chicago for a conference. Program seems busy, but there is a chance i might find a minute to cruise around the town for a bit. What should I absolutely not miss? I would love to see you Chicagians - soz, joe, and others, though I cannot promise I will have time. Will post more later. For now, would love pointers of any kind.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,999 • Replies: 18
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:27 pm
If you're in the mood for a good burger and some excellent company, try this...

good eats
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 11:11 pm
Go down to Navy Pier and catch a River tour boat.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 08:34 am
Go to the top of the John Hancock Center or the Sears Tower. The Sears Tower is now the tallest building in the country, but for my money the hancock Center has the best views of the city and the lakefront. Do you know in what part of town your conference is going to be?

And by all means, ride the el if you can. It's a real trip!

The St. Patrick's Day parade is on the 13th.Chicago St. Pat's

They dye the Chicago River green.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 10:44 am
Oooooh, St. Patty's day! I didn't realize it will be next week alredy! sooo exciiiitnig!
I will have Thursday night somewhat free and will plan to hit the town, or well, stroll around. Is anyone around for a drink or tea or some sort of something?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:06 am
Quote:
They dye the Chicago River green.

The Chicago River is always green.

Great "Italian" sandwiches in the loop (downtown chicago). Giardiniera -- mmmmmmmm. I'm really fond of the First Chicago Bank building, but I don't think most people even notice it. Used to eat my lunch in the plaza there if I was working nearby. Alas, my favorite bars in Chicago are gone or ruined now, and so there is nothing to lure me back. Have-a-good-time.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:24 am
PDiddie wrote:
Go down to Navy Pier and catch a River tour boat.

We did that two summers ago. Our tour boat landing was on the other side of the road from the Navy Pier. Bundle up, if you go, maybe those tours don't even run in the winter. The tour we took lasted about an hour and gave us a good overview of Chicago's architecture and history.

Another cool thing we liked that didn't take all day (as opposed to the Chicago Institutes of Art) was walking the length of the Navy Pier inside and enjoying the free Smith Museum of Glass Windows on the way back. We had stumbled across it, having walked to the end of the Pier on the outside and bein VERY GLAD for shelter from the wind coming back. The display of art was a bonus.

Chicago Glass Art article

http://echo.colum.edu/back/winspr02/images/1culture2.jpg

HAVE FUN!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:27 am
Oh, yeah. The Art Institute museum actually is pretty good.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:33 am
Have tea in the Walnut Room of Marshall Field's flagship store on State Street. Check out their seventh floor gourmet foods department and be sure to pick up a box of Frango mints.
If weather is permitting, stroll The Gold Coast, North Michigan Avenue. They don't call it the Magnificent Mile for nothing.
Enjoy. It's a great visual city. The skyline views from Navy Pier are mind-boggling.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:38 am
Frango is no longer made in Chicago. Was a big sentimental story when I was there.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:44 am
You can find some great earrings and other remembrances of Chicago in the museum gift shop, too, if you're so inclined.

Art Institute Shop

http://www.artinstituteshop.org/content/images/9653.jpg

Eoe is right! Yummmm, Frango mints.

Frango article from the Chicago Sun-Times -- The truth about Frangos...

Quote:
The history of the Frango began not in the Windy City but the Emerald one, around the turn of the century at a now-defunct Seattle department store.

The Frango, it turns out, first appeared at Frederick & Nelson Co. in Seattle as a frozen dessert served in its tea room, said Spector, who also has written corporate histories on Eddie Bauer, Nordstrom and Chevron Shipping.

The candy form, introduced a few years later and an immediate hit, was made from cocoa, distilled oil of Oregon peppermint and 40 percent butter, he said.

It was on June 12, 1929, that Frederick & Nelson sold the rights to the candy to Marshall Field. But contrary to what many might think, Frango Mints still are made in the Pacific Northwest.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:51 am
Hmmm. This is what I remember...

Quote:
Marshall Field's 13th-floor Candy Kitchen, makers of the famous Frango Mint candies, has closed, a victim of its own success. The 85-year-old Candy Kitchen couldn't meet growing demand for the candies so production was shifted to Gertrude Hawk Chocolates Inc. in Dunmore, Pennsylvania, leaving 157 workers without jobs.

http://www.jamesbeard.org/old/news/dateline/1999/05/chicago.html
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:55 am
p'dog, Soulda said they enhance the greenness of the Chicago River.

Pffka, We took that architectural tour last fall. I recommend it too.

Dagmaraka, be forewarned. Chicago is one very cold place in March. They don't call it the Windy City for no reason.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 12:05 pm
Ohhh yeah. The wind. It can be quite an experience. Ropes are extended around the taller buildings like John Hancock and the Sears Tower for passersby to hold onto. To sit in a coffeeshop and watch the people outside battle the wind is really quite a thing to see.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 12:49 pm
Actually, we've hit a very warm patch in this part of the country lately -- up into the 50s on some days. Dunno if it'll hold out for dag, though.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 04:04 pm
oh i'll be sure to take warm garments and a mountain climbing rope, just in case. can't wait to try the famous stuffed pizza, though i ain't a fan of pizza generally. provided that they won't put me on the first plane back to boston after my presentation... gulp...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:16 pm
I heard odes about the Brazillian restaurant Fogo de Chao. Will take my Brazillian man there, hope it's good. Are there good coffee shops (as in that have good coffee, NOT Starbucks or any of those burnt tasting liquids) to defrost at from the whipping air?
0 Replies

brashcat

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:07 pm
hey, your going to be in the u.s, be carefull! im an american, so i have a u.s passport! are you american? if u r, no probo gettin down there. if ur not, good luck!!!
and have fun!!!
hey i reccomend gettin down to an outlet mall. they have awesome stores there!!!
go 2 old navy (old navy kix @$$!)
have fun!
Brashcat
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:03 pm
well i'm back in lovely (as in no wind) boston! chicago was a blast, the magnificent mile was, well, magnificent. saw the river turn green and the st. patrick parade, the field museum, and acquarium, and the historic society museum. i also had the best dinner in my entire life. if you ever pass through chicago, don't miss sushi samba-rio, it's a fusion of japanese, peruvian, and brazilian, and the atmosphere and food are both unbelievable. unbelievable!
0 Replies