Date of Presidential Election

gollum

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 04:58 pm
Could Congress change the date of the presidential election based on the effects of the hurricane?

Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 05:11 pm
@gollum,
too late for that now.

Part of the reason so many states have adopted early voting is due to the possibility of such events.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 06:10 pm
@gollum,
I'm afraid you guys on a2k are stuck with the first Wednesday of November.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 07:33 pm
(hint: it's not simply the first Tuesday of November either).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 07:41 pm
As has been pointed out, it's a little late to consider that now. Congress can change the date, but Congress can't do anything quickly. The current formula was passed in the 1840s or 1850s, i don't recall exactly when--i looked it up at the Library of Congress site about 10 or 12 years ago. The current formula assures that election day will fall within the first eight days of November, but will never fall on November 1st. For at least the Catholics and the Episcopalians, November 1st a holy day. The formula is the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. If November 1st is a Monday, the election will be held on November 2nd. If November 1st is a Tuesday, the election will be held on November 8th. One can easily figure out how the rest of the dates work out.

I'd go to the Library of Congress site to get the details aagin, but it ain't worth the effort.
gollum

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:52 am
@Setanta,
Should the answer be in the U.S. Constitution without reference to the Library of Congress?
0 Replies