Watching The Election Returns On Tuesday Night

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:22 am
@djjd62,
Just think, dj, we're about to embark on the 2016 journey!
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:29 am
@JPB,
we're lucky in canada, we never actually know when the election is coming, there are some rules about length of time a party can govern but no firm date every so many years

provincially, in ontario we've had something like 5 elections in the last 7 years, and look to be heading to another in the spring (leader of the minority ruling party just resigned)
izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:33 am
@djjd62,
We had the same set up until the ConDem coalition got in, when they announced they would sit for a full five years. I still don't know if this sets a precedent and will be binding on whoever wins the next election.
djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:38 am
@izzythepush,
the libs in ontario couldn't get a permanent coalition, the NDP supported them in the last budget, thereby avoiding an election within the first year of taking office, but since the leader has stepped down (proroguing parliament in the process) it's anyone's guess what will happen when they resume
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 07:39 am
Well, it's finally arrived.

At some point late tonight or early tomorrow morning a result will be decided which will result in roughly half the population experiencing emotions that range from rapture to mild satisfaction and the other half feeling crushing despair to mild disappointment.

I know which half I want to be in, but that such a degree of polarization exists is troubling. There won't be a lot of voters who cast their ballot with measurable doubt, and the difference in world views that is expressed in the split certainty of everyone else, is hard to understand. Unfortunately, the incomprehension tends to lead both sides to assume the difference must arise from some negative place whether it be sinister or ignorant in nature. The man who wins is going to have a very difficult time bridging the gap. If he can, he will go a long way in establishing the greatness of his presidency. If he can't, I'm afraid the situation will only be that much worse in 2016.

Thanks to everyone who has participated on this thread and resisted any urge they may have had to engage in partisan belligerance. (I'll allow georgeobi to decide if Chicago Joe deserves his pass based on good natured (?) humor).

And thanks to those who read the opening post and refrained from participating because they knew they couldn't abide by my request.

All bets are off though once the polls close in Virginia.

May your candidates win...if they are Republican.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 07:55 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm off to the fair today. Gonna pretend to milk a fake cow, buy some fancy cheese, follow the poultry judges around ... just because that's what we do, eat an apply dumpling, go to the big hunter-jumper show. Will be back late late tonight ... hopefully some decision of some sort will have been achieved in the U.S. by then.

I'll be looking in on this thread for the play-by-play.

Have fun and play nice!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 05:35 pm
Here.

What coverage are y'all watching? I'm flipping between MSNBC and CNN on tv and reading the congressional reporters tweet feed on cspan.org.
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 05:36 pm
@JPB,
CNN on TV.

TPM, Daily Dish, NYT on computer.

Plus here and Facebook.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 05:47 pm
Cautiously optimistic about the election tonight.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 05:49 pm
tweet from huff post
HuffPostPol RT @HuffPostMedia: CNN: Through Sunday, Romney's internal tracking had Obama winning Ohio by 5 points.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:02 pm

VIRGINIA:
Long lines at my precinct this morning at 6:30. But the lines moved quickly.
Good weather.
We should expect results early.
Watch turnout numbers in N. Va and around Richmond.
JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
Many people still in line in VA.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
Exit poll is an exact tie on CNN -- 49-49.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:31 pm
@sozobe,
Bm

Folks on DailyKos point out (optimistically) that early voting isn't in this exit poll in VA. It also looks like Romey is getting a lot more votes than Mourdock (rape is God's will) in counties that have reported.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:37 pm
@maxdancona,
The intrade electoral map is really fun to watch. VA and CO keep changing between blue and yellow in real time.

www.intrade.com/v4/misc/electoral-map
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:42 pm
Vigo county IN has voted with the final outcome of the national race every time since 1956 and only wrong twice since 1888.

jimgeraghty Bellwether Vigo County in Indiana has Obama ahead by 153 votes, 49% to 49%, with 99% precincts reporting.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:46 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Exit poll is an exact tie on CNN -- 49-49.

Hey how'd that Ohio State game turn out?

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:52 pm
DanTheDaily Obama up 4 in Florida with 35 percent reporting. Still early
about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:54 pm
samsteinhp RT @JimHeath10TV: First count from Ohio: Obama 383,700 66%, Romney 190,383 33%. Per SOS
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2012 06:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
We won X 2!

Saturday Nov. 3rd vs. Illini -- big win, but expected.

Saturday Oct. 27th vs. Penn State -- also a win. (More of a challenge, bigger deal.)
0 Replies