Trump Calls Acquittal in Sanctuary City Murder 'Disgraceful'

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 05:57 am
Another example of placing politics of division ahead of feasance to the law. The jury heard all the evidence and concluded the shooting was an accident, which has nothing to do with his status as an illegal. It could have happened if the gun had been held by someone legal and the result would have been the same.

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:10 am
@edgarblythe,
The guy never should have been in this country. He was a scumball. He had a gun. Something was going to happen with him at some time involving violence.

A beautiful human being lost her life due to a series of preventable circumstances.

Yes, the bullet rickoshayed and struck Katie, killing her. So sad.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:18 am
@PUNKEY,
When guns are free in a packet of cornflakes it's hardly surprising scumbags get them, and there's an enormous amount of scumbags already in America.

Ridiculous gun laws are the main problem. Illegal immigrants don't shoot people over here.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:33 am
@izzythepush,
Why did he have the gun out? It didn't go off in his pants, right?

I'd like to find out more, but it will be very difficult to get an accurate, unclouded version from any of the US media, right, left or otherwise.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 06:44 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:

I'd like to find out more, but it will be very difficult to get an accurate, unclouded version from any of the US media, right, left or otherwise.

There really should be some process... let's say we could have 12 impartial people chosen by a process designed to prevent any conflicts of interest. We could have this panel of people listen carefully to evidence from both sides, and then we could put them in a private room to render a decision based on the facts of the case....

If only we could do something like that... then we wouldn't have to listen to the politicians, or to yahoos on the internet.

najmelliw

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 09:10 am
@maxdancona,
You can't ignore the president leaning in on this case. Especially not this president, since he's shown himself more than capable to judge those things he doesn't agree with. All citizens in the US of A hear this, and that includes the potential next 12 'impartial' people whom might be called to sit in judgment on the next case along these lines.

Also, guess how those 12 people must feel, now that their president has attacked them for doing their civic duty...
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 09:32 am
@PUNKEY,
Point is he could only get a gun so easily in America. They can't get guns over here. It's only a problem over there because of your ridiculous gun laws.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:31 am
@najmelliw,
Quote:
You can't ignore the president leaning in on this case. Especially not this president, since he's shown himself more than capable to judge those things he doesn't agree with. All citizens in the US of A hear this, and that includes the potential next 12 'impartial' people whom might be called to sit in judgment on the next case along these lines.

I am not sure that your point makes any more sense than Punkey's. We have a legal system. It was followed. The defendant was acquitted of the murder and manslaughter charges.

You kind of have a point that the president "shouldn't" tweet about judgements. But he is allowed to, there is no law that prevents it. Ask yourself, how will the presidents tweets impact your ability to be impartial is you are selected to serve on a jury? There... you have your answer.

Our democracy will survive.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 10:42 am
And what do you see as my "point"?
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 11:14 am
@PUNKEY,
I don't know if the court reporter's transcripts are available to the public, but they're a verbatim account of the hearing.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 11:48 am
What's stupefying is that the Attorney General of the United States himself conflates immigration status with murder and manslaughter, saying that Kate Steinle's death could have been prevented if not for the city of San Francisco's non-compliance policies. Any number of circumstances could have prevented Kate Steinle's death. That José Garcia was an illegal alien has zero bearing on Kate Steinle's death.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:24 pm
I think I recall reading somewhere that the gun was wrapped in something and that it slipped loose and went off.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:36 pm
@PUNKEY,
That you seem more concerned about immigration than gun violence. If you're going to be a victim of crime it's far more likely to be another citizen.

Most immigrants are hard working and are more likely to be exploited than out committing crimes.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:39 pm
@izzythepush,
Exactly right.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 01:44 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

The guy never should have been in this country. He was a scumball. He had a gun. Something was going to happen with him at some time involving violence.

How was he a scumball, exactly? I looked up his background info, and as far as I can tell, he was accused of selling pot after he was in the country but the charges were dropped.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 03:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
Seven felonies, five deportations. In the country illegally.

I understand that he didn't mean to shoot or kill her, but he was responsible for his behavior when he had it (stolen gun) in his hands.

I have no problem with separating his act from his immigration status.

It was a tragic perfect storm for a horrible event.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 03:44 pm
@PUNKEY,
Could you please list what the seven felonies were?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Seven felonies, five deportations. In the country illegally.

I understand that he didn't mean to shoot or kill her, but he was responsible for his behavior when he had it (stolen gun) in his hands.

I have no problem with separating his act from his immigration status.

It was a tragic perfect storm for a horrible event.

I thought you meant that he was a scumbag before his felonies, that he was a scumbag prior to his coming to the US, and that that's why he shouldn't have been here.

So then, he's a scumbag for being here illegally, he had a gun and because of that something violent was bound to happen.

His presence here illegally ensured that something violent was going to happen.

Given this position, you haven't separated his act from his immigration status. You're directly faulting his immigration status with the death of Kate Steinle.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:24 pm
Stop politicalizing my answers.

Homeless drug user has a gun and it gets fired, killing a woman.

He get acquitted on a murder charge.

He should have been charged with involuntary manslaughter.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:27 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
He should have been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

He was charged with involuntary manslaughter. A jury of his peers found him not guilty. The fact that a bunch of outraged people on the internet found him guilty doesn't matter.

We have a legal process for a reason. Angry mobs aren't as good at making reasoned, just decisions as you might think.