Where, wherein and in which are completely interchangeable?

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 09:33 am
Hello,

Where, wherein and in which are completely interchangeable?

Example Sentences:

-That paternalism in domestic policy goes hand in hand with a mercantilistic view wherein the world economy is a group of mutually antagonistic trading blocs.

-The San Francisco house, wherein he and his family live, was damaged by the earthquake.

-Anyway, the woman character has something of a soliloquy on the verbs "pee" or "piss" wherein she asserts that the words are derived from the word "penis."

Outside of these examples, Where, wherein and in which would still be interchangeable?

Many thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 718 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 11:24 am
@cicibebe,
Cici on the surface they're interchangeable but like so many other such comparisons you'll probably uncover subtle diffs

Wherein for instance one in which where, wherein, and in which are repeated where represented as different parts of speech but in which not so indicated by means of punctuation

Thus the value of " " " marks

Wherein, for instance, one in which "where," wherein," and "in which" are repeated, where……..
0 Replies