Does the word "god" scare you? - if so, why?

9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 01:36 am
I still can't understand(maybe its not meant to understand) why even the mention of god, scares so many people, i feel that alot of us were raised with a punishing god(i was abused he was never there for me) and now that we're finally adults we refuse to have anything to do with him and that's fine, but why are we so against believing in something so forgiving and gentle and, in my opinion, altruistic, afterall if god is so loving and NOT punishing or condemning what's there to be so afraid of, we all have our own concept of a "higher power " and again that's fine I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone but it goes back to my original question "why does he scare you " (if he does at all) i know when i don't understand something i immediately become defensive i don't become afraid but that's just me and we are all very different human beings, I'm a curious guy with lots of questions therefore my intention is to share my thoughts with you and hear your comments and possibly your suggestions about the topic, thank you for taking the time in reading this, i do appreciate it very much.

Coop
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 9,730 • Replies: 104

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 04:44 am
Well, that was largely incoherent drivel. Why not ask yourself why you feel compelled to assign these fantasy attitudes to people you've nerver met and about whose opinions and beliefs you know nothing?
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:39 am
@9one1,
The word "god" scares me no more than the words vampire, yeti, goblin, zombie Nazis’, 3 headed octopuses with viscous wolf heads for hands, etc… Well no ‘word’ scares me PERIOD. Its what people do on behalf of those words that scare me.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:47 am
@9one1,
Yes the word "God" scares me. It isn't the deity that scares me. It is the fact that the word "God" has been used to rationalize so much evil.

Once you start talking talking about what "God" wants, you stop being rational. What you think is right doesn't matter. What other people feel doesn't matter. Logic doesn't matter.

The word "god" is the quickest way to get people to stop thinking for themselves and to ignore logic reason or care for others.

0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:20 am
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/TommyBoy_tjs/217806_233244520131633_1480721624_n.jpg
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 06:55 am
@Setanta,
You must be one of those people who feel tough in front of a computer monitor, by the way you never answered the question, try doing that, you might gain some insight. try being respectful next time.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:07 am
@9one1,
I think he did, it just wasn’t an answer you were looking for by conventional means. I would find an answer to Setanta’s question most intriguing though, if you think you can that is.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:13 am
@Telamon,
Wait a second there Telamon! 2 Kings 2:23-24 happens to have long been one of my favorite Bible passages (my hairline may have something to do with the fact it resonates with me).
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:17 am
@maxdancona,
Here is this one better for you...
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/TommyBoy_tjs/376335_206800732779800_1409604302_n.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:21 am
@9one1,
Try being respectful ? ! ? ! ? You come here belittling people about whom you know nothing, making assumptions about people about whom you know nothing, and you want to badmouth me for not being "respectful?" Your writing sucks, that's one reason you are posting drivel--that's not disrespect, that's truth. Your idiotic thesis is based on unwarranted assumptions, for which you provide no evidence, that's another reason you are posting drivel--that's not disrespect, that's truth.

Here ya go, kiss my red Irish ass--that's disrespect. But i guess you're one of those online heroes who plays the badass in front of your computer monitor.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:24 am
@9one1,
Wait.

You're asking two different questions.

Your thread title is "does the word "god" scare you? - if so, why?"

In your post, you say your original question is "why does he scare you"

Two entirely different concepts, two entirely different questions. Also quite a few assumptions - that a god exists, that if a god exists it is a male, that if there is a god there is only one etc.

~~~

Let's start with: which question do you want answered and what gives you the the idea people are scared??

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:44 am
In the nearly ten years i've been here, and in the years before that at Abuzz, i've seen your type again and again. Some self-righteous, smug, condescending christian who comes in here to set straight the heretics, and the atheists and the queers. You're full of hate and judgement. Don't expect any respect, you don't deserve any respect.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 07:48 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:
Does the word "god" scare you?
No, it doesn't. But people who use the word "god" often worry me because it's usually the prelude to a stream of irrational, annoying and poorly thought out drivel. But besides that it's fine.

9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:06 am
@Setanta,
My writing , what's this a spelling bee, anyway clearly you are some kind of wingnut, what does my writing have to do with my question i asked , STILL you have not answered the infamous question, you're pathetic.Have a good day.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:08 am
@9one1,
That's because i don't answer loaded questions. You're the pathetic one. If someone doesn't believe that there is a god, why would such a person fear or hate what they don't believe in? I don't fear or hate the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus, why should i fear or hate your imaginary friend?

You're the only wingnut in this thread. Don't let the door hit ya in the ass, Mr. Judgmental Hater.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:09 am
@ehBeth,
Why is this so complicated ,i simply asked in my headline "Does the word God scare you ,if so, why, no more, no less.I am only looking for advice from you and anyone elses reply on how to get closer to god. Thank you.Have a good one.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:11 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:
I am only looking for advice from you and anyone elses reply on how to get closer to god.

You're getting confused (no surpise there)--that was a different thread.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:12 am
@Setanta,
First of all i'm NOT Christian , now that we settled that, what's next , oh yeah , you called me smug i think ,you have seen my "type" what is my type i'm curious, anyway i seriously could care less if i have your respect, makes no difference to me one way or the other, see ya.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:13 am
@rosborne979,
What's so wrong with the word "god" all i did was ask a simple question, if i offended you it was never my intent.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:13 am
@9one1,
Thats 3 goodbyes maybe this one will stick Laughing