Does the word "god" scare you? - if so, why?

9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:15 am
@Setanta,
Mr. Judgmental Hater ? Wow, you have me figured out already, you're pretty good, never once, all kidding aside did i judge you, i might have said some things that were wrong and , shall i say "mean" but i never judged you, so try getting it right ok.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:16 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

What's so wrong with the word "god" all i did was ask a simple question, if i offended you it was never my intent.

The word has nothing wrong with it, it’s what people do on behalf of it that’s the problem. Which I think multiple people have illustrated by now that point.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:17 am
@Setanta,
No confusion here , i know precisely what i was reffering to, i am indeed looking to get closer to god, you got it, getting closer to god, does that word scare you, i'm begining to think it does, from your reaction to my replying to your babbling.Oops i did it again. lol.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:18 am
@Telamon,
Why is it when people feel threatened they act like they are not feeling as such , its so obvious.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:24 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:
I am only looking for advice from you and anyone elses reply on how to get closer to god.

that has nothing to do with either the thread title or the question you attempted to pose in your original post.

Sort out what you want, then try again.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:25 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

Why is it when people feel threatened they act like they are not feeling as such , its so obvious.

Human nature and we are socially built that way, silly question not that it applies all that much to anyone in this thread. Well except maybe yourself that is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:26 am
@9one1,
You have judged homosexuals. Your comments about how people hate and fear god is obviously judgmental of people about whom you know nothing. You've called me several names so far, is that supposed to be evidence of your loving nature? You're a typical right-wing, fundamentalist christian hater, come here in judgment of others. Here is the horrendous run-on sentence which is the opening post:

9one1 wrote:
I still can't understand(maybe its not meant to understand) why even the mention of god, scares so many people, i feel that alot of us were raised with a punishing god(i was abused he was never there for me) and now that we're finally adults we refuse to have anything to do with him and that's fine, but why are we so against believing in something so forgiving and gentle and, in my opinion, altruistic, afterall if god is so loving and NOT punishing or condemning what's there to be so afraid of, we all have our own concept of a "higher power " and again that's fine I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone but it goes back to my original question "why does he scare you " (if he does at all) i know when i don't understand something i immediately become defensive i don't become afraid but that's just me and we are all very different human beings, I'm a curious guy with lots of questions therefore my intention is to share my thoughts with you and hear your comments and possibly your suggestions about the topic, thank you for taking the time in reading this, i do appreciate it very much.

It is full of judgment. It is full of undemonstrated premises, but mostly it's full of judgment. You have responded with defensive hysteria to the criticisms you gotten for your thread, and by your own terms, that suggests that you are fearful. How do you know that the mention of god scares people? How do you know what kind of god, if any, people were raised with? How do you know that "we" all have a concept of a higher power? All of your assumptions entail judgments about people of whom, in fact, you know nothing.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:26 am
@ehBeth,
I'm afraid he is mixing up his threads.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:28 am
@9one1,
The only one here who is babbling is you. Look at the opening post, it reads like something one would expect from a stoner who can only hear his own voice. The thread in which you say you want to get closer to god is an entirely different thread. You only brought that up recently in this thread, from out of the blue, in a response to Beth.

You're all over the highway, Bubba. The thought police should pull you over for driving while impaired.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:30 am
@Telamon,
When someone can't keep the topic the same in the thread title and first post, there's already a problem.

Maybe s/he needs a one thread per week quota.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:35 am
@ehBeth,
There closely related so it’s almost understandable, after all there both about bigotry, ignorance, and self-righteousness.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:02 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

What's so wrong with the word "god" all i did was ask a simple question, if i offended you it was never my intent.
All I did was answer your question. Isn't that what you wanted?
0 Replies

9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:05 am
@Telamon,
Can i make make ammends and put this behind us and move on and perhaps be "friends" if thats even possible, if not i understand afterall i was an ass.

Rich
0 Replies

9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:07 am
@ehBeth,
I guess i got ahead of myself and screwed it all up, i think i'm going to leave well enough alone otherwise i think all it will do is make matters worse if i try to edit or fix or form it to my liking.I hope you can see my point.

Rich
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:09 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

When you say things like this it's clear that you are not asking a question any more. You have already decided what you think people feel and you're not listening to their actual answers.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:11 am
@Setanta,
I apoligize, i never meant to be an ass to you or any one else for that matter but once i opened my BIG mouth and you and everyone else retaliated, i simply defended myself and i just kept running my mouth, it got out of control and for that i was wrong, then we judged each other and the rest is history.Again i'm sorry, i really am.

Rich
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:13 am
@rosborne979,
I know and you're absolutely right i need to listen more and stop judging others , i was an ass and for that i do sincerly apoligize.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:18 am
@9one1,
You don't need to apologize, but learning from the experience might help. Nobody "retaliated," they just took your thesis apart like a cheap watch. You assmed, in the OP, that people fear god, fear the very word, that everybody needs to believe in a higher power, and that people become defenseive when the subject is god.

What you want to do if this sort of thing interests you is to ask people what they think, without making assumptions in advance. What you did was beg the questio--you begged a series of questions. You didn't simply ask if the word god scares people, you assumed it and began rationalizing it.

The classic example of begging a question is "Have you stopped beating your wife?" If someone says, yes, then they have implicitly admitted to beating their wife in the past. Of course, if they say no (only meaning that they don't beat their wife), then they make it appear that they've beaten their wife in the past and are still doing it. To respond to your OP, people would have to assume the burden of defending the concept of fearing the word god. That's why so many people simply pointed out that they fear or mistrust people who have the word god in their mouths all the time.

Ask simple, straightforward questions, without jumping all over the subject before anyone answers.

Most of all, follow Wolf Woman's advice--embrace the punctuation mark known as the period.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:20 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

I know and you're absolutely right i need to listen more and stop judging others , i was an ass and for that i do sincerly apoligize.
Everyone makes mistakes, you don't need to beat yourself up too badly. But if you were sincere with your question and not just looking for a way to justify your preconceived assumptions, then really listen to what most people are saying here.

We've also seen a lot of people (religious people) who start disingenuous threads just to preach to us, so you're getting a little bit of heat from some of our own assumptions and expectations. If you're question is sincere then just let it all slide and get back on track and explore the answers you're getting.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 09:21 am
@Setanta,
Ok so i made a mistake don't crucify me for it, i do have three threads going maybe i should delete one or two of them.
0 Replies