"Live and let live" or "death to all bugs"?

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:40 am
There was an insect flying around my room and I figured "live and let live" since it wasn't bothering me. After a few days, I realized how annoying it was, so I killed it.

It made me wonder, what do you do? Do you kill insects on sight? Do you let them live? Or do you only kill them when they're a nuisance? In your house?

edgarblythe

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:47 am
Live and let live only works when the bugs are not in the house and when they are not overwhelming your yard and vegetation. After that, it's war.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:48 am
@Anonymous1234567890,
I kill spiders, I don’t like spiders. The other bugs I let live because we need them to feed the lizards.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:58 am
@Anonymous1234567890,
Generally, depending on the size of the critter inside the house (if it is easy to do), I will capture it and/or let it out of my house. A bee I almost always trap it and send it outside. Moderate sized or big spiders, let them outside; however, mostly crawling critters like beetles, I'll step on them. Generally speaking, it's easy enough to open a screen or door and let them out.

Outside, back when I had gardens, I'd either spray or treat the plants with an organic liquid. However if my veggies were getting clobbered, I'd find a stronger method that didn't affect the health of the veggie or me after consuming them.

0 Replies

Enzo

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 10:12 am
@Anonymous1234567890,
I'm too lazy to do anything about it. The only reason I will discard my lethargic state of nature against critters is when I see a cockroach in my house, or when I'm under harassment from termites; neither of them have declared war against me so far.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 10:20 am

"The only good bug, is a dead bug!"
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:35 pm
If an insect (or any other living entity of that approximate size) is annoying me, I will either (1)kill it or (2) try to ignore it. Whichever path I choose, I spend no time whatever thinking about any moral or otherwise philosophical ramifications of my actions. One lives; one does what one has to do. What's to agonize about?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:40 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
Anonymous1234567890 wrote:

Do you kill insects on sight? Do you let them live? Or do you only kill them when they're a nuisance? In your house?

Mosquitoes, spiders that bite, roaches, ants, and their ilk? Yes I kill them on the spot. While lady bugs and say daddy long leg spiders, I leave them unharmed. Moths? I capture them and let them fly out the window.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:17 pm
My attitude differs greatly as respects being indoor and outdoors.

Virtually every bug I find indoors, I kill.

Outdoors I kill:

Fire-ants
Mosquitoes
Cockroaches
Foilage devouring vermin

0 Replies

roger

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:28 pm
I give spiders*, ground beetles, mantis, and lady bugs a pass.

*Except black widows
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:38 pm
I used to kill spiders, mainly brown recluses that we used to have in Kansas, but the spiders we get here in Arizona, I might kill, or might not.

Tarantula wasps, I kill. Other flying insects that make it into the house, I usually kill.

Scorpions I kill, without question.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:44 pm
I'm selective. For flies, mosquitos, bed bugs (haven't seen any personally. Yet. So I'm announcing preemptive strikes in advance), fleas, ticks. roaches, I advocate genocide. Spiders in general are the good guys. They torture and then eat the bad guys. While people like Al Qaeda are clearly the bad guys, I don't advocate that policy toward them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 22 Oct, 2012 03:14 am
If it's inside the house I kill it, unless it's a butterfly, which would be a sin, or an easily trapped (small) spider I can put outside.

Outside I kill slugs and snails because they're pests, and after having an extremely wet summer, there's shitloads of the bastards.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:24 pm
One way to get flies or wasps out of a house is simply to turn off all the lights and open the door; they fly toward the light. If they're by a window trap them in a jar and slip a piece of paper over the top and turn them loose outside.
0 Replies