Want to get closer to god, how can i accomplish this?

dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
It claims it is in no sense a religious program but, rather, a spiritual one.
The latter term might convey an impression that it's indeed religious, might actually discourage the atheist

Quote:
The difference may seem very subtle to anyone unwilling to give it much thought.
Quite
0 Replies

9one1

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:48 pm
@tenderfoot,
Tenderfoot, WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, the longer i am a member of this site the faster i'm realizing some of the members here are quite opinionated.
9one1

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:54 pm
@Telamon,
In a word for you - WOW - the blinders are on.
0 Replies

9one1

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 08:56 pm
@Telamon,
You're not attacking me, you're only making it harder on yourself by opening mouth inserting foot.Have a good day.
0 Replies

9one1

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 09:01 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Oh pearlyboy, spare me, the last thing i need is for someone like you who has NO CLUE what they're talking about is to tell me , "what do i expect, i clearly triggered an awful lot of responses in people, which is precisely what i intended to do in the first pleace, guess what , it worked, and i got some answers to boot.Have a good day.
9one1

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 09:08 pm
@Eva,
Hey Eva - How are you, you're so right, religon sure is a hot button issue arround here, you're about the ONLY ONE who actually was NOT rude, most people who replied to my post acted like i insulted them or something, which of course i didn't, anyway thanks for your reply it was kind and i appreicate it, i wish you well, take care.

Rich
tenderfoot

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 11:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Both my sons know they can never drink alcohol again.... as they know they would immediately continue the obsession of alcoholism, as they had done so in the past and I maintain untill the do, they are not alcoholics... I never stated they were " cured " .
Glad you agree that one dosen't need gods... a light fitting is just as good.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 11:25 pm
@9one1,
Well, thank you, Rich!

This usually happens when people ask religious questions here. The critics of religion descend and in the ensuing fray, the original question never gets answered. That's a shame. It was a good question.

If you really want to get closer to God, you will. It's guaranteed. The standard practices (read His word daily, pray during your everyday routine) will make you more aware of what He is doing in the world and in your life. Give it a try. Some people keep a journal, and that makes a lot of things clearer to them when they read back through it because they can see patterns.

If you stay here, you will find we have a little of everything. Yes, we are opinionated. But I don't consider that a fault, I think it's one of our strengths. If you're looking for a fight, you'll probably find it. But if you're looking for good discussions among intelligent people from around the world (and occasionally some good entertainment!), you're in the right place for that. I've made some very good friends here. As for the trolls and the terminally obstinate, we have this great "Ignore" feature that keeps them from using up any more of my time and energy. Just click on their name on any of their posts, and you'll go to their profile. There you'll find a button that says "Ignore User." Click on that, and they will disappear.

Welcome to A2K. I hope you stick around.
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 01:35 am
@9one1,
*sigh Rolling Eyes
I should of known not to try and jump into this, heaven forbid people hear something other than reconfirmations of their self-diluted drivel.

I do find it amusing how blindingly condemnatory some people can be though.
Pearlylustre

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 01:40 am
@9one1,
Quote:
someone like you who has NO CLUE what they're talking about

I commented on your apparent expectation that people on here would always agree with you ( 'I didn't join this forum to be told I'm in error') ... I think I'm as qualified as anyone else to comment on that. The forums would be very dull if everyone agreed with each other. You have a good day too.
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 02:40 am
@Telamon,
Self diluted drivel, wow do you have it all clouded up, take off the blinders pal, ta ta.
0 Replies

9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 02:42 am
@Pearlylustre,
By the way i have or had no expectation, no idea how you came up with that concept.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 02:58 am
@9one1,
Sure I’ll bite,
Please explain how and/or what blinders I presumably utilize?
(Instead of just the generic criticism of unawareness that is currently employed by yourself, an actual answer would be pleasant.)
9one1 wrote:

By the way i have or had no expectation, no idea how you came up with that concept.

Your previous replies say otherwise and illustrate where one could draw that conclusion…
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:14 am
@Telamon,
You told me i had expectations in replies from others about my original post and i did NOT, you insisted on this but anyway if i know anything i know this, my post clearly "rocked the boat "as they say however that to was NOT my intention but it is what it is!... You seem to have all the answers enlighten me.

I'm finding out very early on that most of the replies i have gotten they are pretty defensive, that's fine with me because i can only imagine if what I'm posting is bothering these people what are they like functioning in the real
World. Take care.

PS: As far as the blinders what that means is you are only seeing /hearing or choosing what is convenient for you.

Here's a great quote for you. "As gods people we stand on our feet we don't crawl before anyone"
crowealethea

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:37 am
@9one1,
I agree with Eva. The prayer, may it be towards any king of higher power, will step you to be closer to the god.
You need to find what best suits you, that fills with you pleasure, a pleasure that cannot be defined, the valuable one.
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:26 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

If that. Irrelevant. The point is that a real alcoholic cannot quit by oneself. He/she needs the crutch of something like A.A. Statistics has nothing to do with ti.

False, I have.
And statistics of success for a program such as AA I think IS relevant when people are forced to go and it receives government funding.
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Profit? Who profits? There are no dues or fees for A.A. At meeting the hat is passed and it's up to you whether you want to drop some loose change in there. A person could go to meeting seven days a week for the rest of his life, drink free coffee, and never contribute a cent. There are those who do. To claim that A.A. is somehow "about profit" isabout the dumbest thing you could possibly have said.

If there is no profit, then how is it funded? Just because they don’t take your money directly, that doesn’t mean there not making a profit- do some research first, or if that’s too much work, refer to my previous post with the video link.
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I don't recall that anyone but you has so far mentioned "the devil." Those last two sentences of yours make no sense whatever.

The rest, my point was clearly lost on you, and frankly, right now I don’t have the patience to sketch out a explanation suitable for someone whose, for lack of a better word, ossified.
Telamon

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:29 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:

You told me i had expectations in replies from others about my original post and i did NOT, you insisted on this but anyway if i know anything i know this, my post clearly "rocked the boat "as they say however that to was NOT my intention but it is what it is!... You seem to have all the answers enlighten me.

First, I wasn’t the one pointing out you had expectations, Pearlylustre was, though I do agree with him.
9one1 wrote:

I'm finding out very early on that most of the replies i have gotten they are pretty defensive, that's fine with me because i can only imagine if what I'm posting is bothering these people what are they like functioning in the real
World. Take care.

As for some replies being defensive, I think that’s just exasperation in dealing with one-sided individuals. Functioning in the real world just fine thanks, it’s the people choosing to live mentally outside reality that keep screwing it up- but it gives me entertainment at least.
9one1 wrote:

PS: As far as the blinders what that means is you are only seeing /hearing or choosing what is convenient for you.

I know what ‘blinders’ are, thank you. What I was asking was in regard to what you felt I was applying them too, you know- what am I choosing to ignore?
9one1 wrote:

Here's a great quote for you. "As gods people we stand on our feet we don't crawl before anyone"
PS:
I find that quote erroneous, ‘gods’ people crawl before Him/Her/It.
(Not that I think it really applies to this thread.)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 05:59 am
@9one1,
9one1 wrote:
the longer i am a member of this site the faster i'm realizing some of the members here are quite opinionated.

why oh why don't we have an irony smiley

Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:35 am
@9one1,
wait.

are you Rich or are you Coop?
9one1

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 08:54 am
@ehBeth,
Rich is my first name "Coop" is short for my last name.
0 Replies