• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,143 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 10:10 pm
@dalehileman,
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4BeuXUkvBKBRk2ftB8V1ib2ycBzqgC4Ygwzg8_0EDvz1P_xgJ
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 05:28 am
@dalehileman,
not much at first, but she soon realizes that beneath his odd exterior is a warm caring human being

have you seen the entire series yet?
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:22 am
@djjd62,
We love it/ HE is a bit like me in my profession. (im terrified of lightning and I am rather critical of students and colleagues who **** up more than once)

AND, I have no sense of humor that I am aware of.

Course I dont have a head like a Jack-o-lantern
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:33 am
@farmerman,
there were two movies made before the series, they have little relation to the eventual tv series save the character name, clunes plays the title character, they're decent enough fare

the first appearance of the character (again played by clunes) is in a film called saving grace, an enjoyable diversion

Martin Clunes originally played a character called "Dr Martin Bamford" in the 2000 film Saving Grace and its two made-for-TV prequels, Doc Martin and Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie, which were made by British Sky Broadcasting (BSkyB). The prequels show Bamford, a successful obstetrician rather than surgeon, finding out that his wife has been carrying on extramarital affairs behind his back. After confronting her with the news, he escapes London and heads for Cornwall, which he remembers fondly from his youth. Shortly after he arrives, he is involved in the mystery of the "Jellymaker" and, following the departure of the village's resident GP, decides to stay in Port Isaac and fill the gap. In these three films the village is not known as Portwenn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saving_Grace_%282000_film%29
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:16 am
@djjd62,
do you think that wed find the twomovies enjoyable? I looked them up on Wiki and found that Clunes was not the main character and weve loved the ensemble casting with him at the center.

On yopur recc, we will put this into our "mailing" netflix list since Im sure that Netflix doesnt have it in its streaming que (The problem with Neytflix is that their streaming availables are new releas4s and fairly popular past movies only)
dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 10:02 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
have you seen the entire series yet?
Nah DJ, just what pops up in Dish

Thanks for your report of #…818
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 10:04 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Course I dont have a head like a Jack-o-lantern
Well put, Man. That's another thing isn't it
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 05:42 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Whatever does she see in him

He's a unique character.
How many people do you know who always speak the truth ... with absolutely no clue of how their words are being received?

He's a wonderful creation. It's to Martin Clunes's credit that he makes this difficult, sometimes downright rude & offensive character so credible & so likable! We know he's doing his best, that he has real integrity, even though he sticks his foot in it, time after time! Smile

dalehileman

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:07 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
that he has real integrity, even though he sticks his foot in it,
Agreed Olga he's sort of likable
But come on, she's a beautiful young thing that could have her pick
Though of course there evidently isn't much of a choice
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:17 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:

But then the plot would be so boring!

I loved it that after their first kiss (after ages!!) his first comment was something about her breath, or something between her teeth ... I forget the details now, but it was so totally unromantic, so totally inappropriate ....
He was only being observant & trying to be helpful, though. Smile

And yes, I agree, Louisa is beautiful.
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:19 pm
@farmerman,
i liked the first movie (Doc Martin) better than the second (The Legend of the Clouttie(sp)),but both were pretty harmless entertainment

Saving Grace which only peripherally stars Clunes is a good caper film
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 06:55 pm
An younger Martin Clunes, playing a pretty gross bloke in Men Behaving Badly.
You probably won't want to watch all of this ... just to give you some idea of his ability to play a variety of different characters.

djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 05:15 am
@msolga,
he's also made some pretty good documentaries

one on dogs, islands of Britain and one about swimming with manta rays
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 05:20 am
@djjd62,
Theres a vacation Ill pass on. Swimming with Manta Rays. Even though they are harmless, they can defecate on you as they swim by .

Do they sport a barb like the sting rays?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 10:22 am
@msolga,
Quote:

Quote:
But then the plot would be so boring!
You'r right Olga, after all it's fiction isn't it

Quote:
……..after their first kiss (after ages!!)
It did takes a while didn't it

Quote:
And yes, I agree, Louisa is beautiful.
She's a treasure
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:15 pm
Doc Martin is one of my favorite dramas on tv, and it's not because the title character has a charming personality; he doesn't. It's because his grating personality creates tension. He's no Robert Young for sure. British series tend to be character driven rather than the melodramas with twisted plots and fast action in American shows. I prefer the former.

The Doc Martin in one of the movies had a totally different personality than the one in the series, optimistic and happy instead of cold and pessimistic.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:32 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Whatever does she see in him

He's an excellent physician and in a weird way, he's also cute.
Miller

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 09:58 am
@Miller,
Did you see him last night. Did anybody notice what medication was given to man, who fell off the ladder due to the crystals in his ear?
0 Replies