Do use "Quote"

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 02:57 pm
In another thread the subject of BB code "Quote" came up

http://able2know.org/topic/200105-1

..a subject begging for more attention. Often in a long thread we get a response to our much earlier posting long forgotten, then have to backtrack til we find what it was all about. So I strongly recommend opening a reply with a quote to which it's a response

Try it, it's easy, you will like it

Ie, when responding to another participant's earlier remark, cut and paste it, highlight, then click on "Quote". Easy, eg,

Quote:
It's simply that I use "Quote" more generously than other participants…….It's a very important practice and one which I highly recommend as I am often baffled by someone's response to my much earlier posting

Thank you Dale, yes I agree that you do and that it is, and thanks for the quote so I immediately recall the subject

roger

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 03:21 pm
@dalehileman,
If one uses 'quote' simply to show what one is replying to, just clicking on "Reply" will have the same effect.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 04:51 pm
@roger,
Quote:
just clicking on "Reply" will have the same effect
Yes and no Rog. I get your message at the bottom but the box at the top is empty so I still have to highlight, copy, paste into it

Maybe you know something I don't
roger

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:27 pm
@dalehileman,
No, Dale. If you want people to know which post you are replying to, use 'Reply'. That's why Craven wrote it into the program. It avoides pages of nested quotes. Now, if you want to show the content, full or partial, of the post you are answering, clearly "Quote" is way better than copy and paste.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:34 pm
@dalehileman,
You don't have to backtrack, Dale.

Look at Roger's post. You'll see little (green/blue?) letters saying @dalehileman.

Click on that, and it will take you to the post in question, even if it was made days or years ago.

I've never used the bbc quote thing - if I want to quote, I click on the quote button that is on top of everybody's posts. But ----- I think you have to enable that in preferences.
roger

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Now that you mention it, I wonder why it's even an option in preferences. Default it to everyone, and if they don't want to use it, well, they don't have to.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:44 pm
@roger,
I agree, and maybe that is up for future change.
Anyway, Preferences is a really useful page to explore.
Dale, if you haven't, look at the bottom of the page under My Account.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 11:50 am
@roger,
Quote:
If you want people to know which post you are replying to, use 'Reply'
Yes, no, Rog, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I know what "Reply" does, I've used it thousands of times. It isn't that I want everyone to know to whom, but to see the comment to which I'm responding; otherwise the response often will make no sense
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 11:58 am
@ossobuco,

Quote:
(green/blue?) letters saying @dalehileman…...Click on that, and it will take you to the post in question
Thank you Oss, that was a very valuable response, good to know indeed

Quote:
I've never used the bbc quote thing - if I want to quote, I click on the quote button that is on top of everybody's posts.
You might be onto something here too However I don't see a "quote" button up there. How is it identified

Quote:
But ----- I think you have to enable that in preferences.
Aha! Yes, yes, you do! and thanks once more Oss
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 11:59 am
@roger,
Quote:
I wonder why it's even an option in preferences. Default it to everyone
Roger, Rog, I agree wholeheartedly and I have often so ruminated about many such
0 Replies