The fact that a metal bar sinks in water while a metal ship floats.?

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 03:57 am
Hello Everyone,

Can be explained by Archimede's principle? True or False .If anyone having any suggestions regarding this, please share. I did not get any suggestion from my search so I think you will help me in this discussion forum.

Thank You
William Hayden

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 04:05 am
I don't think anyone around here feels obliged to help bots.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:37 am
@Setanta,
What does everyone mean by "bot"? Do they mean an automated artificial robot?

If so, how is everybody recognizing these things as Bots? Also, why would an automated posting algorithm post something like this? Is it a leadin to a spam campaign or something?
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:42 am
@rosborne979,
Yes, bot is a shortening of robot. There has been a spate of "new members" who all use a slightly varied boilerplate first post, and European sounding names which very likely have come from a name generator. William Henry here is one of those. None of them ever respond again to their initial thread, and most of them never post again. Among those which do start other threads, it seems that they never respond to the threads they have started. Most people who are familiar with the phenomenon believe that they are bots--automated accounts which use a variation on various texts in the attempt to appear to be a living, breathing human who is posting. I think it's from China, and it may be an extended experiment to see if it is possible to create bots which will be mistaken for humans. So far, i'd say it's been a miserable failure.
Enzo

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:53 am
@Setanta,
Not necessarily a failure. A spam bots main job is to get past forum security. So far it seems that they're successful. I imagine the security service for this forum is outdated. I wonder if this forum uses a third part software such as cloudflare or if they make up their own code to protect against comment spam, and other threats.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:56 am

how about the titanic, it stopped floating
raprap

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 06:22 am
@WilliamHayden,
air is less dene than water.
Enzo

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 06:26 am
@raprap,
I like to add to that that the net density of the ship is less than the density of water.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 07:03 am
@Setanta,
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I haven't been paying much attention to these things so I hadn't considered their biovalidity (not sure if that's a word, but anyway...)

I usually recognize the ones that come in as preparation for selling a product or something, but these things which don't appear to sell anything slip in without me giving them much thought.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 07:09 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

how about the titanic, it stopped floating

Fact - metal ships float.
Stop believing in facts and you're sunk.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 07:10 am
I suspect that if the creator could get them wo pass for human, some kind of marketing would follow. A few of them have shown up a second time and posted long descriptions of the advantages of a certain product. However, with no links in the post, they are not technically spam.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 09:39 am
It's possible to get a metal pin to float on water. Place it on a bit of blotting paper, the paper absorbs water and sinks to the bottom of the glass leaving the pin floating on top. It's something to do with surface tension.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 09:45 am
Loose lips sink ships.
0 Replies