Raisin Sauce Quandary

maximom

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 05:44 pm
I am going to serve raisin sauce with ham... What type of serving piece should I use for the raisin sauce?

In case you're interested, this sauce is delicious on ham!

Raisin Sauce

Blend together in saucepan:
2T butter
2T flour

Remove from heat and slowly blend in:
2 cups apple cider
1/2 cup (or less, to taste) seedless raisins

Cook until mixture boils, stirring constantly. Then boil one minute. Remove from heat. Serve hot. Makes 2 cups.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,060 • Replies: 6
No top replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:26 pm
Hi maximom. I make a similar raisin sauce to serve with ham and I serve it in a regular gravy boat with ladle. Seems to work fine (or guests can pour it if they prefer). It is yummy.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:30 pm
Silver serving boat with ladle - sounds scrumptious, um-ummmmmmmmmmmm!

http://store3.yimg.com/I/sowers-gifts_1718_8123254
0 Replies

maximom

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 09:16 pm
Thanks! A gravy boat it is, then! Where would I be without the net, A2K in particular?!!!
0 Replies

maximom

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
The raisin sauce was terrible! The mistake happened when I asked my mother in law for her recipe. She referred me to the Betty Crocker cookbook. Well, apparantly mine is a different edition! When it didn't turn out, I compared notes with her, and found this to be the "good" recipe! So, if by any chance, any of you were going to use this raisin sauce recipe, please, please, please use this instead!

1/2 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 T cornstarch
2 T vinegar
2 T lemon juice
1/4 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 1/2 C. water
1/2 C (or less, to taste) raisins

Mix brown sugar, dry mustard and cornstarch. Slowly add vinegar. Add lemon juice and peel, water and raisins. Stir over low heat until thick. Makes 2 cups. Serve hot with ham.

Note: Our Aunt adds 2 T of butter or ham fat at the end... don't know if this is good or not! Sounds good, though...................

Happy Holidays!
BillW

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 02:03 pm
Thanks maxsimom, I was going to use the sauce at one time. Now I know the good one!
0 Replies

kittyupstairs

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 01:59 am
@maximom,
WOW!!I have been looking for the recipe out of the "old" Betty Crocker cookbook and this is as close as I have seen since I lost my book. Thank you, you made the day. Corgimom
0 Replies