Is it possible to prove the existence of a loving God?

dalehileman

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 01:48 pm
@mark noble,
Mark, according to the genprin NIEAWEIPSE theere are no proofs of anything
Frank Apisa

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 01:55 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Mark, according to the genprin NIEAWEIPSE theere are no proofs of anything

I cannot help but wonder if "genprin NIEAWEIPSE" has any proof of that...or are we suppose to accept it as true because "genprin NIEAWEIPSE" asserts it?
cicerone imposter

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 02:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That genprin NIEAWEIPSE can verbalize anything only contradicts his own thesis.
dalehileman

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
are we suppose to accept it as true because "genprin NIEAWEIPSE" asserts it?
Yes, as it seems obvious to many of us

However I claim immunity from any suggestion of self-referent reflexive looping construct
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
only contradicts his own thesis.
Cis see immediately above
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 12:17 pm
Like during a tsunami when thousands of people drown? How about earthquakes and war?
dalehileman

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 01:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cic it seems we must continually reiterate that (1) She cannot do the impossible because the impossible is that which cannot be done and (2) given freewill She has virtually no control over us, whatever
JLNobody

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 05:10 pm
@dalehileman,
I tend to agree with C.I.. What little evidence there is for a God's existence, it might be more for an unloving than it is for a loving God. The philosophical/theological discipline of Theodicy is a systematic effort to address the problems C.I. points to.
Frank Apisa

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 06:13 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Re: dalehileman (Post 5206678)
I tend to agree with C.I.. What little evidence there is for a God's existence, it might be more for an unloving than it is for a loving God. The philosophical/theological discipline of Theodicy is a systematic effort to address the problems C.I. points to.

Well, I do not see any evidence which points unambiguously to the existence of a GOD. Neither do I see any evidence that gods absolutely do not exist.

More importantly, I see no evidence that a GOD must exist in order to explain existence...and I see no evidence that the existence of gods is an impossibility.

Do you see things otherwise?
nothingtodo

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 06:20 pm
@werter,
It is possible to prove.. Not so easy to evidence.. That a God capable of loving for temporally significant lengths of time exists.

It is impossible to prove that a loving God is always.. It is also provable that a non loving God is the keeper of some... From birth even... Man alone is machine to the water. Machines at their work are not loved if their work continues in calm.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 06:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Neither do I see any evidence that gods absolutely do not exist.
Yes, no, ?Frank. But we might entertain the idea that Her existence or non depends on how one defines Her. Especially the apodictical existential pantheist maintains for instance that She's the Universe, that all the activity therein is Her thinking

Part of the problem is that the typical devotee demands a higher degree of reality on the scale of abstraction between a rock near the concrete end and the Transcendental Being at the other
Frank Apisa

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 06:32 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Re:
Quote:
Frank Apisa (Post 5206968)
Quote:
Neither do I see any evidence that gods absolutely do not exist.

Yes, no, ?Frank. But we might entertain the idea that Her existence or non depends on how one defines Her. Especially the apodictical existential pantheist maintains for instance that She's the Universe, that all the activity therein is Her thinking

Part of the problem is that the typical devotee demands a higher degree of reality on the scale of abstraction between a rock near the concrete end and the Transcendental Being at the other

Not sure of your point, Dale.

I said I do not see any evidence that gods absolutely do not exist.

Nothing you said indicates that I ought to reconsider that.

Do you see any evidence that gods absolutely do not exist? I'd love to consider any such evidence.
dalehileman

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 06:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Not sure of your point, Dale.
Reality as an analog phenom, is not an easy idea to get across. I'm not sure I even understand my own assertion

Quote:
I said I do not see any evidence that gods absolutely do not exist.
Of course there are all sorts of different ideas about what She constitutes

Quote:
Nothing you said indicates that I ought to reconsider that.
Although I'll be first to concede there's something mysterious about the Entire Megillah I think it can be explained as an abstract phenom

Quote:
Do you see any evidence that gods absolutely do not exist?
No
Frank Apisa

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 06:52 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Reality as an analog phenom, is not an easy idea to get across. I'm not sure I even understand my own assertion

Great answer, Dale. I loved it.

Quote:

Of course there are all sorts of different ideas about what She constitutes

Absolutely. Some people want to define IT as something that must exist...and some want to define it as something that cannot possible exist.

I'm covering all bases. May exist...may not. Me--I do not know.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you see any evidence that gods absolutely do not exist?

No

We are five by five on that.
dalehileman

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 07:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Great answer, Dale. I loved it.
Thank you Frank. A modicum of encouragement, a rare causeway in this devolution of hermeneutic redoubt

Quote:
...and some want to define it as something that cannot possible exist.
Yes and that's puzzling

Quote:
May exist...may not. Me--I do not know. 
I don't either but there's a nagging, persistent intuitional suggestion--shared by the way by probably the majority--that there's something more to the Whole Thing than the meaningless, random bouncing of particles off one another

Also strangely enough, because it loses all meaning without him that the humanoid seems to occupy a "special" place in it. The mechanism by which he has assumed this position, however, escapes me
Frank Apisa

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 09:43 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Also strangely enough, because it loses all meaning without him that the humanoid seems to occupy a "special" place in it. The mechanism by which he has assumed this position, however, escapes me

Could be...as we get more advanced (if we get more advanced) we might find that humanoids aren't really all that special.

We'll see...I hope. Probably not you or me or anyone alive right now, but some day humanity will see if it is all that special.
mark noble

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 09:50 pm
@dalehileman,
I guess it boils down to this;

Is everything randomly planned or planned to be random?
Either way, Good and Evil are ONLY a point of view.
nothingtodo

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 09:55 pm
@mark noble,
Bravo..
You seat argument well...
Standing argument.. Is a different day, perhaps?

(I see in terms of overall concepts, sorry to but in)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 25 Dec, 2012 10:02 pm
@mark noble,
Yes, perspectivism and relativism.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
We'll see...I hope. …….some day humanity will see if it is all that special.
It's simply a subliminal feeling, Frank, that The Universe (She. It) would seem a silly exercise, pointless, hopeless, aimless, without the occasional appearance of a humanoid to appreciate it
0 Replies