What Is the Function of a Self-Switching Power Supply?

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 08:48 pm
Hi Everyone,

A power supply is a device that supplies electric power to an electrical load. Power supplies that can automatically switch to adjust to the incoming power allow you to have a consistent electrical output. As, I have this much of knowledge on it, I am so excited to know about the function of a self-switching power supply. Any idea on it, then please share with me.

Thanks a lot!
Rodger Hooks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,241 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 11:37 am
@Rodger Hooks,
Rog I'd never heard of such a thing but I guess it's feasible. Upon the application of power, the device of course would have to spend an instant analyzing its input, then adjusting its power supply to conform

Can I be of any further help
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 04:13 pm
You're electrifying
And you're not even trying.
0 Replies

Derren Brown

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 01:31 am
@Rodger Hooks,
Hello Community,

A power supply that automatically switches between the incoming electrical signal and a battery backup is known as a UPS. If you have a power failure or power fluctuations, a UPS will auto-switch to provide a constant output of all that is connected. This provides protection against damage to computers and other sensitive electrical equipment if the electricity entering abandoned or has peaks. External AC inverters provide an output from an AC input so that any device can be connected to them.

Thanks and Regards,
Derren Brown
dalehileman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:43 am
@Derren Brown,
Quote:
A power supply that automatically switches between the incoming electrical signal and a battery backup is known as a UPS.
Thank you Der, it's not everydday one learns a new term

However then, what do you call a supply that switches to accommodate eg a different line voltage
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:45 am
@Rodger Hooks,
Quote:
I am so excited to know about the function of a self-switching power supply.
Its obvious function Rog is to continue supplying output power in spite of a change in its input

Perhaps instead then you're asking how it's done
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:46 am
@Derren Brown,
Quote:
A power supply that automatically switches between the incoming electrical signal and a battery backup is known as a UPS.
Thank you Der, it's not everyday one learns a new term

However then, what do you call a supply that adapts to accommodate eg a different line voltage
0 Replies

krisberg

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:38 pm
@Rodger Hooks,
A self-switching power supply can allow your device to run on the foreign or domestic voltage.
woertz

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:45 pm
@Derren Brown,
Quote:
between the incoming electrical signal and a battery backup is known as a UPS
I had supposed Der that some are capable of switching to accommodate a variety of power sources but I wonder what they are called

…if not "A self-switching power supply" as Kris above
0 Replies

janegray78

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:26 pm
@Rodger Hooks,
The main function of self-switching power supply is to automatically switch to adjust to the incoming power allowing you to have a consistent electrical output.

Ref: http://www.ehow.com/info_12216314_function-selfswitching-power-supply.html
0 Replies