Worst ending ever to a TV show (SPOILER)

lovejoy

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 04:56 am
I'm talking about the sopranos, Tony and family are sat in restaurant his sons girlfriend parks car, walks in restaurant, screen goes to black - end of series.

What the **** is that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 857 • Replies: 4
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 05:05 am
@lovejoy,
It was an OPTION for each member of the audience.
He coud imagine either that all hell broke loose,
with whatever consequences the audience member wants,
or
peace prevailed. I can live with that (especially since I don't care).
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 05:17 am
@lovejoy,
lovejoy wrote:
I'm talking about the sopranos, Tony and family are sat in restaurant his sons girlfriend parks car, walks in restaurant, screen goes to black - end of series.

What the **** is that?

and yet you still gave it 4 stars, how weird is that
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 07:22 am
At the time, David Chase said “If you look at the final episode really carefully, it’s all there.”. Personally I would have liked to see Tony Soprano get life in prison without parole, but what the hell. I see Carmela has been working as a nurse.

Some people say that Chase structures the final scene so that a significant portion of it is shown through Tony’s “point of view” (POV). In this interpretation he uses the ringing of the bell of the door of Holsten’s to signal to the viewer when he will be using a traditional POV shot: character looking at something/cut to a shot of what the character is looking at from the character’s POV/cut back to a shot of the character. This is repeated five times in the final scene to create a “pattern” that logically concludes that the last “shot” of the series (10 seconds of black and silence) is from Tony’s POV. The implication being that Tony sees “blackness” and “nothingness”, i.e. he is dead.

I personally think that is a bit over-simplified. Chase later said "There was nothing definite about what happened, but there was a clear trend on view—a definite sense of what Tony and Carmela's future looks like. Whether it happened that night or some other night doesn't really matter."

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 09:49 am

Woud his son inherit the job ?

( assuming survival )
0 Replies