WATER HEATER - HELP!

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:30 pm
Ok, so this morning, there was a huge leak (warm water), and we had to clean up gallons of water from the basement. The utility guy came 7 hours late, only to tell us the whole tank needs to be replaced, tomorrow at the earliest (talk about pathetic service, anyway).

So approximately 15 hours after the incident, we're in worse trouble. Not only are we living off of freezing water, now, whenever we turn on a tap (kitchen one anyway), there seems to be water coming out from under the water heater or something.

And yes, the main cold water feed into the water heater is closed.

What is going on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 953 • Replies: 4
No top replies

caprice

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 10:48 pm
I asked my Dad because he recently had to replace his water heater. He thinks there must be water leaking from your heater. Leftover water that is, since you closed the cold water feed to the heater. If you are concerned about a minor flood overnight, perhaps shut off the water from the tap that brings water into the house?

Sorry I couldn't help you more.
0 Replies

Turbonium

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:00 am
Yea that's what we did.

This has been a heck of a day. I am not exaggerating when I say that about 10 things have gone wrong today, only 1 of which is this water heater thing!

Just one of those huge pot-holes in the road of life, heh.

Thanks for the help btw. It's appreciated.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:12 am
Sorry I couldn't do more for ya. On the upside, at least this day is pretty much over, true? Smile
0 Replies

OnTheFritz

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:01 pm
You can try draining the W/H. Make doubly sure the power and water to it are off. Most heaters have a drain valve down near the bottom of the tank that a garden hose can be screwed onto. Run the other end of the hose outside a door and open the valve. You can hold open the pop valve on top of the tank to let air in to speed up the process. There's usually a little lever on it that will open the spring-loaded valve but it may close as soon as you let go of it.
0 Replies