Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 04:07 pm
My apartment managers thought that it would be a great idea to paint the countertops, before we moved in, with what appears to be regular latex eggshell white paint! This is a big problem because you literally have to rip the appliances off the counters, they DO NOT ever appear clean and if you place anything plastic or hot on the countertops they stick and peel the paint off. I have asked them if they could fix the problem and they simply said they could paint it brown! Ugggg! HELP! How can I fix this with out having to actually replace the counters because I am not spending money to replace the counters since it is not my own place.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 956 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:29 pm
@lizziecrane,
The only way to fix it is, either rip them out or, scrape, sand and re-paint with a melamine base, then any latex paint and finally cover it with a couple coats of polyurethane. A hard, clear top-coat - might not be called the same thing where you live.
If you have a recycling place nearby they sometimes have cans of paint you can get for free.
Ceili

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 07:47 pm
@Ceili,
After you sand, you should wipe everything with T.S.P. It will remove any remaining grease or dirt.
0 Replies

kingficer

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:25 am
@lizziecrane,
Spray the silicone-based coating it works on almost any surface and it'll become almost completely impervious to moisture.
Source: Traditional Woodcraft
0 Replies