Who and what?

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 07:47 pm
Can anyone tell me anything about this sketch? I know it's charcoal and the signature is hidden in one of the dresses. I also know that the only thing on the edge of the paper under the frame is the number 4039. Any information or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. There are links below to lead to a photo of the entire sketch and then a close up of just the hidden signature, which is almost impossible to read. Respond here or email me at [email protected]. Thanks!!!

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u553/Luckypanda22/88bd2521829f1a3500a3a139aeb15d19.jpg

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u553/Luckypanda22/8a55476be5797ed7d73a9ad5cd96c555.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 795 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 06:58 am
Do you think the frame is orginal?

How do you know its a charcoal drawing?
Green Witch

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2012 07:42 am
@Luckypanda22,
Quote:
number 4039
A number usually indicates it is a print and not original artwork. It looks very faded, like it was exposed to sunlight.
Luckypanda22

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
It's believed the frame is original because the glass is also believed to be lead glass. As far as charcoal, it's a guess based on the fact the edge of the paper is the same as in the picture meaning you cannot tell where the frame began when it was no longer in the frame. There is no border. If its not charcoal or something similar I have no idea what it it as I am not a professional of any kind.
0 Replies

Luckypanda22

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:17 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch:

It might be a print but for other reasons said in my other reply I do not think that's the case. If it was a print there would be some kind of border or edge on the paper I would think. Again though I am not a professional. If you have any ideas how to deterimine these things further that would be great. Even if it is a print I am curious as to who the original artist and info.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 08:50 pm
I can't tell much from your pictures. It could be a print, or pencil drawing, or as you think a charcoal work. My best guess is it's a print that was probably hand tinted dating from about 1890s-1920s and it has faded from light exposure and age. It looks like it was cropped to fit the frame and that is why there is no border. I suggest if you are really interested in finding out more that you take it to an appraiser, who will remove it from the frame and verify the materials, and the age, and a signature- if it is readable.
0 Replies