How detrimental is a "W" on a transcript?

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 06:24 am
I'm taking 21 credits this semester, and I'm seriously thinking about dropping art history. I got a mid term exam today, and I'm not even prepared for it, and it's too late anyway, cause I just slacked off on that class till this weekend.
W=withdraw is my last option if I fail this midterm. And I don't want a 3 credit art/ history class required for LAS to bring down my pristine GPA, as of now.

So how bad is a W on a college transcript?... such as grad school admissions, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,517 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 06:42 am
@aspvenom,
I'm not sure how a W (withdrawal) deeply effects the decision from a grad school admissions officer but it has to be a great deal better then getting an E on ones transcript.

What is your college's deadline for withdrawing from a class? I'd assume that if you're hitting midterms then perhaps its a bit too late. But even if you are able to withdraw, don't make a habit of it with future courses. I think that one W on ones transcript might be overlooked. But making a habit out of the practice will be picked up by any admissions officer in reviewing your grad school application.
aspvenom

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:05 am
@tsarstepan,
I have ~9 weeks after the class starts to drop it with a W on the transcript. It's only been ~6 weeks. I can take this class this summer, or 2013 summer time. So based on today's exam, I'll see.
0 Replies

RST

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:17 am
@aspvenom,
21 credits?
I think it's safe to say that it's a good idea to just stick to 18 credits a semester, especially if you're also doing part time work.

As the above poster told you, a W on a transcript is better than a Fail.
As long as there isn't a recurring patterns of W on your transcript, you won't be scrutinized when the time comes for you to apply to grad schools.

I know a person who had 5 "W" in a semester because she had to drop out due to health reasons. Due to a valid reason behind the sequential with-drawls, it didn't effect her chances of entering medical school.

Good Luck on that midterm.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:21 am
@aspvenom,
I'm sure that if anyone questioned you, the excuse that you bit off more than you could chew, realized your mistake and cut back appropriately would go over very well. I don't see any issues.
0 Replies