Do you believe in a literal heaven?

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:34 pm
Do you believe that a part of you will survive after death to live everlastingly in heaven, or is heaven a meatphorical state of mind?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,388 • Replies: 26
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:47 pm
I believe that part of us all will exist. Actually, from a christian standpoint I would have to say much more than part.
0 Replies

Dono

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:04 pm
I believe in a literal heaven although I'm not sure what it is? I don't know where we go when we die but I believe it's peaceful. I wonder what Jesus meant when He said to the criminal on the cross beside Him, "This day you shall be with me in Paradise"?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:10 pm
Well, again from a christian standpoint (sorry if we're altering the thread) it is because of christs sacrifice that we can live again and be free from sin. So perhaps there was a place where all of the dead were waiting to here the good news. Surely christ would have gone to visit them, and encourage them. It couldn't have been heaven though, since the final judgement hasn't occured, and he was a thief who obviously had some repenting to do before then.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:32 pm
truth
Even if there were a heaven, there are no souls to go there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 04:57 am
IMO, heaven (or hell) is what you make of your life right here on earth.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 05:06 am
I believe that death is the end. It's like you before you were born. You simply don't exist.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:03 am
This question is probably the biggest of them all. I am not a christian, and it is my impression that the Bible is widely misinterpeted. Jesus teached, in essence, the same lessons as Buddha did before him. I find more comfort in the idea of reincarnation. That we're all part of the great wheel turning, and that we will live life after life until we have suffered every wrong that we have ever done to others, until we can free ourselves from the wheel and join the essence, wich is bliss....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:20 am
Cyracuz wrote:
and that we will live life after life until we have suffered every wrong that we have ever done to others

I must have been a child killer in a previous life.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 06:47 am
I don't know if there is a Heaven or not.

I certainly do not see any unambiguous evidence that there is -- but by the same token I do not see any unambiguous evidence that it should be considered impossible.

Best anyone can do on this is to guess based on almost nothing -- which, in effect is what you asked in your initial question.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 07:29 am
I sometimes feel the existence of heaven (and sometimes hell), but I do not know whereabouts it is. I think it is, probably, outside of the time axis (and hence linear order of life and death) of human knowledge.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 11:57 am
truth
Cyracuz, I personally prefer the perspective of the meditative branches of Buddhism, which do not, like Hinduism and much of Buddhism, give emphasis to reincarnation. One of the features I do not like about the notion of reincarnation, particularly as you described it, is that it is a large JUSTICE MACHINE. I cannot see the validity of reducing the unimaginably vast and ultimately (cognitively) unknowlable Cosmos to our cultural principles of justice, guilt, and redemption.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 04:13 pm
Sounds like a good point. But if indeed there is an intelligence guiding the system it could have a sense of justice. Personally, I'm more comfortablt with a God who is merciful. Smile
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 04:20 pm
The long sleep...
Wilso - you said it the way I think it.

Quote:
I believe that death is the end. It's like you before you were born. You simply don't exist.

...You only exist in the physical things you leave behind and in the minds of those who knew you.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:07 pm
JLNobody: The Buddhists believe in reincarnation but not in the transmigration of a soul. They don't believe in a soul, so that would be tough.

They also stress that the goal is to end the cycle of reincarnation, which makes one think that they're not talking materially, but metaphorically. Buddhists are interested in life as we know it and how to improve it, not in an afterlife or next life. I guess that's why the Indians lost interest in Buddhism.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:56 pm
I'm not sure about Heaven. (How can anybody me sure?)

I know that I do believe that our earthly existence is not the totality of our existence.

What I am more confident of is the belief that we are all a part of God which he has used as his artistic medium to create something which is as independent of him as can be possible for God (There is no paradox for God). As such, the aim of our existence is to return to the godhead. To reunite with The Creator.

The rationalist in me doubts that the reunification will take place on a field of clouds with heavenly angels playing clarions and singing songs. But then again, why wouldn't God indulge "us" and himself?

It's all good.

And as Baba Ram Das said, long before Bobby McFerrin sang it, "Don't worry, be happy."
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:46 am
Heaven is on earth. The trick is finding it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:25 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I'm not sure about Heaven. (How can anybody me sure?)

No problem here. I agree.

Quote:
I know that I do believe that our earthly existence is not the totality of our existence.

Interesting. I am not willing to make any guesses like that.

Quote:
What I am more confident of is the belief that we are all a part of God which he has used as his artistic medium to create something which is as independent of him as can be possible for God (There is no paradox for God). As such, the aim of our existence is to return to the godhead. To reunite with The Creator.

You were doing so nicely -- and then this!

What do you mean that you are "confident" of a "belief?"

A belief is a guess about the unknown. How can you be confident of a guess?

And can you give us some idea of why you are not only guessing there is a God -- but are also guessing what the god is like?

Quote:
And as Baba Ram Das said, long before Bobby McFerrin sang it, "Don't worry, be happy."

Got no problem with that either.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:07 pm
Frank

I didn't come to this new forum to re-enage in the debate which you find endlessly interesting - How do we know anything?

I believe in certain things, If they make really solid sense to me then I am confident in the belief.

Even if you insist on calling a belief a "guess," have you never been more confident about one guess than another?

May I make a suggestion Frank? Somewhere in the header or footer of these postings (I'm still too much of a newbie to be certain) post the statement: "I don't think anything is knowable. If you do I disagree with you." It will save cyber space.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:35 pm
bm
0 Replies