I was the victim of a scam. But can I flip it?

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 02:55 pm
I'm in a crazy situation here. I voluntarily gave someone my debit card and PIN number because they promised to put money on there. I cleaned out my account gave it to the guy and sure enough money was put on there. He promised to give me my cut this morning but he hasn't called or responded to my text messages. In fact, the only time he contacted me was to ask me to take off the limit. Now, I have a overdraft fee of $1 and $1,300 is processing and is going to be in my account in two days. What I'm planning on doing is canceling his (my old ) debit card, get a new one and keep the money. I also put the limit down to 1 dollar so that he is limited to what he can do. Is this the right way to go about the situation? Am I doing anything incriminating?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 04:00 pm
@Castro Dominguez,
Castro Dominguez wrote:

He promised to give me my cut this morning but he hasn't called or responded to my text messages.

Quote:
Am I doing anything incriminating?

Okay. I'm going the full cynical route. This sounds like illegally gained money.

Would explain why you're not mentioning contacting either the bank or the police.

Anyway, getting a new debit card doesn't mean erasing what money is in the account. Getting a new debit card would allow you access to this $1300.

Good luck with your possibly shady endeavors.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 04:06 pm
@Castro Dominguez,
was this guy in Nigeria by chance?

the scammers are thick this season...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 07:56 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah once you mention "give me my cut" seems you were willingly involved in illegal activity.
0 Replies