What happened to my mothers money?

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:32 am
She had $17,000 in a bank in El Salvador. She tried to make a transaction, but was unable to do so. She called to ask why, and she was told that her money had been given to the government. She asked for the documentation proving that the money in her account was in fact given to the government, and she was told they had no documentation. So, what happened to her money and what can she do now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,685 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Anonymous1234567890
BillRM

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:53 am
@Anonymous1234567890,
Find out if the bank is charter as a federal or state bank and then contact either the state agency that oversee it or the federal agency that oversee the bank.

The agencies in question should be found by a google search.
Anonymous1234567890

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:02 pm
@BillRM,
The name of the bank is "Banco Agrícola"
How do I figure out whether it's a federal or state bank?
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:28 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
There is a branch in CA - - maybe being in the US they may be more helpful? Or where do you live - maybe there is a branch near you - meeting face to face with any support/details on your account is always helpful. I did also notice one in MD. I'd imagine though with so many branches that it would be a federal bank.

http://www.yellowpages.com/huntington-park-ca/mip/banco-agricola-commercial-de-el-salvador-oficina-de-huntington-park-3308768

Their website is not in english so I can't read it. But I would imagine their website should tell you - so if you can read it take a peak.
http://www.bancoagricola.com/
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:37 pm
@Linkat,
It is a national bank - maybe this is where your money is - seems there is a scandal involving this bank - your mom isn't involved with an "important businessman" that fled El Salvador and is hiding in the US or Guatemala.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-07-26/news/mn-244_1_banco-agricola
Anonymous1234567890

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 02:24 pm
@Linkat,
No, my moms not involved with that. They told her it was given to the government because she hadn't moved her account in a couple of years, but she has been moving it. And we live in Washington, DC and know there are banks in the US, but this bank is different from banks in the US. In the US, I can open an account in one Citibank (lets say, one in Maryland), and continue to make business at their other banks (lets say one in DC). But for this bank, we have to do things from the original bank that she created the account in (which is all the way in El Salvador). That's what we were told over the phone by their representative. We told them we were in the US and they told us they couldn't do anything for us unless we went to the bank personally in El Salvador. So we're thinking of sending my elder sister there to investigate matters.
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 02:42 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
I'm not sure if El Salvador they handle things similar to the US. In the US if some one has not had any activity in an account for a while or something similar - it goes to the abandoned properties list. The state Treasurer's Office will have a list of "abandoned properties" that you can claim and find by going to the appropriate website.

I know you said that you have had activity on the account, but perhaps if the bank simply made a mistake, they may have classified it that way?

I figured it was unlikely your mom was involved in anything shady - just kind of thought it was funny to find that article. That was what clued me in that it was a national bank as it was described as the largest national bank in El Salvador.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 02:53 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
Also have you called a local bank? Even if they don't have access or the ability to get you your money, they may help out as a liason. It kind of depends on how well their service is - it may be worth just calling them and explain your situation to see if anyone could suggest how you can deal with it and how you can handle besides buying a plane ticket and flying down there.

If you have a sister there locally it may be worth her going in and talking with someone - maybe they can direct her how she can get the money from the government if there is a system similar to the US' abandoned property.
0 Replies

BillRM
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 04:00 pm
@Anonymous1234567890,
Sorry I was not fully awake and did not see that we are talking about an off shore bank at least off shore as far as the US is concern.

I am also assuming that you are in the US is that correct?

There is a branch as someone has already stated in the US that might be helpful and the next step if they can not help would be to call the el salvador embassy and ask them for help in contacting their government agency that is in control of their banks.

2332 Wisconsin Avenue Northwest Washington, DC 20007
(202) 337-4032

0 Replies