Problems after upgrading 2 prong outlets to GFCI

Cooter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:09 am
Hello all, could use some advice on what to do next…

My older kitchen had a 2-prong outlet on either side of our kitchen sink. I replaced them with GFCI outlets, and just used the “line” in and out on the new outlets, didn’t use the “load” at all on either. The outlets have power and work fine, but now my garbage disposal and dishwasher won’t turn on.

As for wiring, I simply moved the two left wires from the old outlets, to the left side of the "line" on the new GFCI outlets. Same for the right side. I thought by doing this, I'd just be recreating the same loop that the old outlets had - clearly I was wrong.

Initial thoughts? I’m sure some of you are laughing at me already because I did something stupid.

Before I start switching around wires again, I wanted to get some troubleshooting advice from you all first. My assumption is that one of the older outlets was feeding power to the disposal and dishwasher. Should I try moving one pair of wires to the “load”? I’m guessing the disposal and dishwasher are hooked up to the outlet on that side of the kitchen – so I’d probably start there first.

Thanks for any advice you may have!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,178 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:56 am
@Cooter,
I just bought an older freezer and it wouldn't work in my outdoor outlet, but it works in my indoor one. I had our electrician in to replace the outdoor switch, but it still didn't work. He said it was due to the age of the freezer - incompatible with the new electrics, but it was a guess.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 08:19 am
@Cooter,
You really need to get the line and load wiring correct for a GFCI. Check out this link.
0 Replies

Cooter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:48 pm
@Cooter,
So as usual, it was something really stupid. I didn't screw in the fuse that controls the garbage disposal and dishwasher in all the way after the install. Unscrewed it, screwed it back in, and all's fine. Looks like I have what it takes to be an electrician after all!

Thanks for the replies to date, much appreciated.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 08:41 pm
@Cooter,

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - House Lights
Get More: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - House Lights

">

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - House Lights
Get More: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - House Lights

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"width='500' height='410' >
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:10 pm
@Cooter,
Fuse? Umm? I believe that circuit breakers have been code for more than 45 yrs.
0 Replies