Question to people who go to the movies on dates...

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:06 am
Just curious: I went to the movies this Saturday afternoon. Went to see the highly anticipated PT Anderson film, The Master (2012) which is the indie film that's loosely based on the beginnings of Scientology. And I noticed that since the 5:00 screening was mostly full with a scattered amount of individual seats here and there, that there were still couples flowing into the theater when the trailers then the opening credits were playing.

For those people who go to the movie theater with dates. Say you are going on the weekend (Fri to Sat nights especially) and you get to the cinema at the last minute. If the theater where your screening is ALMOST full but still some seats left YET there are no two seats together where you and your date can sit together, then what do you do?

1. Leave the theater together and give up on the movie for something else to do;
2. Leave the theater together and ask the manager if you can go to a different screening;
3. Each sit in their separate seat and meet up after movie is over with;
4. Yell fire in a crowded theater, take two of the first available seats after the crowd flees in panic;
5. other?

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:12 am
@tsarstepan,

5. ask someone to scooch over one...

(the last time we went to a movie was 2005, so etiquette might be different now...)
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:22 am
@Region Philbis,
Good answer RP though I'd bristle at the idea. I can be kind of territorial when it comes to my arbitrarily chosen movie theater seats.

I know its irrational and a tad mean spirited but in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "Ha! Maybe they should have gotten to the theater earlier." Probably need to work on that attitude a bit. Neutral
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:27 am
@tsarstepan,

something to avoid doing in the theater...

contrex

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:56 am
If I went on a cinema date with someone and they, on learning there were no seats where we could sit together, preferred sitting separately to finding something else to do together, that would be the last date I would be having with them. Also they could find their own way home. A date is a date.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:07 am
@tsarstepan,
I'd try 5 first, but if it was a movie I really wanted to see, I'd go to 3.

I can't stand people who talk during movies so I wouldn't beplanning to talk to my 'date' during the movie - I'm not at the movie to sit with someone, I'm there to see the movie.

~~

Separately, I don't really 'get' movies as dates - they seem like a way to either avoid getting to know each other. I understand going to a movie with a friend or partner, but not as a date.
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:16 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Good answer RP though I'd bristle at the idea. I can be kind of territorial when it comes to my arbitrarily chosen movie theater seats.

I know its irrational and a tad mean spirited but in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "Ha! Maybe they should have gotten to the theater earlier." Probably need to work on that attitude a bit. Neutral

Maybe this is my inner Spock talking, but from what I've seen, people do very illogical things when finding a theater seat, then get annoyed later.

I've gotten to movies plenty early, then watch others seat themselves. As the theater fills I see again and again couple, threesomes, foursomes come in, walk down a row, and seat themselves with exactly one seat between them and the next party.

What's that all about? Especially when you know it's going to be a popular movie.
Doesn't make sense to get annoyed about being asked to move over, when you were the one that created the single seat problem.

Back to the question, with ticket prices today, I'd ask the box office to exchange my ticket for a different viewing, or different film.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:16 am
@ehBeth,
but its great to have a date when you go see a scary movie - you can clutch their arm and kinda cuddle with them for safety.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:18 am
@chai2,
boys don't like to sit in a seat directly next to another boy - they want to appear cool and not "gay".

girls like to sit next together so they can gasp and grab each others arms and be all girly and stuff.

couples like to sit next to each (or they'd prefer to share a seat) so they can be as close as possible.

young kids like to be next to their parents - for added comfort.

Older kids like to be in a different row from their parents.

Older couples want to be on opposites sides of theater

Me - I like to be next to the person I go with - no matter what combo above I am involved with - easier to reach the popcorn that way.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:20 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

but its great to have a date when you go see a scary movie - you can clutch their arm and kinda cuddle with them for safety.

Or, talk about the movie afterwards at Nighthawks.

Re boys sitting next to each other, tough when it's a crowed theater.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 11:22 am
@chai2,
I've edited above so you can see my whole thought on the subject - yeah that whole nighthawks could be included with this item as well.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 02:15 pm
@Region Philbis,
I am small enough now that I can sit on your lap, too.

That is another option.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 02:20 pm
@jespah,

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/heynow.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 02:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
I can't remember having had a date at the movies. But I suppose, the etiquette is similar to that at the caterpillar rides ('music express')?
contrex

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 03:24 pm
When I was a teenager, a movie date was a situation where a girl could safely enjoy letting a boy kiss her and feel her tits, but no more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 03:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I remember a date - my date lost it -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062467/

Alan Arkin, Wait Until Dark.

Husband and I went to a zillion movies at an art theater, the Fox Venice. Mostly we were quiet and talked the movies later.
0 Replies

NicolasRoss

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 08:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
This kind of situations are extremely important for girls. There is obviously a problem and she will analyse how you solve it (if you're a man).
Let me be clear on the possible solutions:
1. going out of the cinema: weak, you shouldn't change your mind so easily, you wanted to see this movie, so you have to do it.
2. same as 1.
3. weak as well. You are clearly letting her alone, you are not protecting her, a.k.a she cannot see you as a real date
4. -

For me the perfect solution is to kindly but firmly ask some people to move so you two can have a seat. This is perfect in plenty of ways. It shows you are not afraid to calmly interact with people, that you know how to get what you want, and that you can solve problems that others cannot. Perfect.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 01:12 am
@Region Philbis,
Love dat show.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 03:48 am
Probably because i lived in a small town in a rural area, going to the movies on a "date" meant the drive-in, where you could grope your date in relative comfort and anonymity. If you really wanted to see the movie, you went to a theater.
0 Replies

Jecksoul

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 09:04 am
@tsarstepan,
First 2 then 1.
0 Replies