I'm burying data cable, what else do I need?

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 02:09 am
I am paying my internet provider to come out and reinstall my radio receiver and change where it is hooked in.

it will stay mounted on the shop, but will come inside to a hub, rather than going overhead to the cabin.

I will then run new data cable from the shop underground to the house. and also underground to the cabin.

in the end, I will have 4 data locations. (as I go past the fraidy hole, I want to route a cable in there for a laptop during storms.)

my query is this:

I think I want at least an extra cat5 cable in the conduit for later use. maybe more than that, I just don't know what technology is out there, and what else I might want to do from one location to the other.

I know I only want to have to trench it once. and I want to load all my wires beforehand. fishing it would be nearly impossible the way I want to route it.

any serious input would be appreciated...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,228 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

Rockhead

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:12 pm
fifty people with curiosity, but no advice...

oh, well. at least jtt isn't here telling me why I'm a bad american.
MMarciano

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:13 pm
@Rockhead,
I read it but don't know anything about it.
Rockhead

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:39 pm
@MMarciano,
Itsa gonna be scary if Ima the only expert on hardwiring at the site...

say la vee.
roger

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Well, what are you looking for? Seems like you've covered the bases with additonal cable in a conduit since you won't be able to pull cable. Anyhow, I agree with redundency on everything you might want to route through the same conduit. If you've got extremely acidic or basic soil, you might ask farmerman about corrosion treatment, though cathodetic protection can be done retroactively.

There, now. It looks just like I've answered something without actually having said anything.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:51 pm
@Rockhead,
If all you plan to use on these lines is a computer, you should be fine. Any consideration to running some telephone lines through the same conduit so you have a more reliable telephone resource than the sporadic cell service?

I don't know how the cold weather will affect the CAT5. Will the conduit have enough insulation for the wires?

Depending on the distance, you may also need a signal booster. Back in the day (the 1990's) when I was running cables in the ceiling of the new building our department was moving into, I had to place the hub in a specifically central location of all the cable runs so it could also act as a signal booster.

I'm sure things have improved a great deal since then so one of our other network gurus will probably have better advice.

What about running some romex cable for any future electrical needs in the four areas?
Rockhead

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
I've already run power overhead (a 200 amp professional install) but not out to the trailer. it stops at the shop.

once I don't live here in the cabin anymore, I won't need as much power out here as I have now.

my thoughts are more for a remote security monitoring set-up.

my computer gurus thought that whatever I wanted to do could probably be done with a single cat5 cable, but you never know what is around the corner technology wise.

I think Ima put a second dummy line in just to be sure.

(I won't say what Ima name it, but he was a mohican...)
0 Replies

parados

Mon 24 Sep, 2012 09:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

I think I want at least an extra cat5 cable in the conduit for later use

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

Quote:
Category 6 cable, commonly referred to as Cat 6, is a cable standard for Gigabit Ethernet and other network physical layers that is backward compatible with the Category 5/5e and Category 3 cable standards. Compared with Cat 5 and Cat 5e, Cat 6 features more stringent specifications for crosstalk and system noise.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 14 Jan, 2013 10:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Get some digital surge suppressors, especially since you're coming off of a radio tower. Does your antenna have a lightning arrestor?

Burying Cat5 cable in a conduit should be fine, but make sure everywhere you terminate the cable that you're doing by the book. Cat5 should only terminate to CAT5 or CAT6 connectors. Not all RJ-45 connectors are CAT5.

0 Replies