Questions about how bidets work

roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:42 pm
@chai2,
I don't go quite so far, unless the place really looks unsanitary. I do use a wad of toilet paper to lift the seat and operate the lever.
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:49 pm
@roger,
No, no, no roger, you use your foot to push the flusher!

If I go in a ladies room and the seat is up, like if the custodian just came through, I lower it into place with my foot also. Not banging it down, but putting it in place.

I don't touch ANYthing in a rest room with my hands if I can help it.
You open the door when you're leaving with a hand towel too.

edit, the only time I flush with my hand if I have to reach behind for a courtesy flush.

Green Witch

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:53 pm
Quote:
From what I understand, bidets were invented when showers were not the norm in homes.

It also came about because not every country has old growth forests they can exploit. The USA has cut down untold acres of ancient forest to make toilet paper. When Americans go abroad they often complain about the different texture of TP or the total lack of it, but they forget we have clear cut the primordial forests of Pacific Northwest to wipe our asses and clean-up kitchen spills (paper towels also came exclusively from this source for decades). If we had instead starting using bidets more of those giant trees might still be standing.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:54 pm
@Green Witch,
that's it.

I'm going back to a corn cob...
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:56 pm
@chai2,
Have you looked at any photos?
0 Replies

Mockingclown

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Typical of most Americans; not a care about anything but themselves.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:02 pm
@Green Witch,
Showers were not the norm in my childhood.
I think bidets are cool, and so are showers.
What Chai is going on about fecal matter is not clear to me;
I'll have to send her to Italy, which would be annoying as I'd rather go myself. (there was some announcement somewhere that 95% of italian homes have bidets)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:04 pm
@Mockingclown,
what are you, the corn police?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:08 pm
@Rockhead,
Corn is grown with fossil fuels, so not a good alternative. I think the most common pre-TP device was a rag. Everyone had their own and you washed it yourself after use and then hung it up on a nail in the outhouse. (Get the smelling salts, I think Chai just hit the floor with a thud.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:09 pm
@roger,
The water in the bowl is not washing you.

Such amazing fear of the new.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 07:10 pm
@chai2,
The spigot is not under your butt or vulva.
aidan

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 10:00 pm
I've been to many hotels with bidets but I've never been tempted to use one -
I just do my business and wipe my butt and wash my hands.

But reading this, I did come across a practice that had never occurred to me before I read this thread.
There are actually people going into public bathrooms, stepping on the floor around the toilet and then using that foot to press the lever to flush the toilet?
Talk about spreading germs?!
No - YOU might not touch the germs, but the next person - say the little five year old girl who can only reach the lever with her hand- is touching whatever fecal matter or urine you've just transferred from the floor around the toilet to the flush lever.
Wow!
As someone who has changed alot of diapers, and apparently has a strong immune system which is able to handle the results and products of natural and daily bodily functions-even those of other people- without getting sick, the whole poop and pee thing just doesn't freak me out to the extent that I can't bear the thought of having it on my hands for a moment before I wash them.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 04:33 am
@Green Witch,
Yes, I agree we (in general) use WAY too much TP.

Sometimes I'll be in a stall, and hear a woman next to me take a piss. Then, I'll hear roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll, and wonder what the hell she thinks she's doing, taking feet and feet of paper just to dry off about 3 drops. Everyone laughed at Cheryl Crow and her 1 sheet comment, but seriously you don't need more than a sheet, 2 at the most, for the job. As for the other function, obviously a bit more is needed, but much less than I fear many people use. I seriously think everyone should go out and buy a bottle of witch hazel, and use that to "finish up" after wiping with dry paper, if they don't have access to water to do the job.

I personally go through about 1 roll of paper towels in the kitchen a year.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 04:42 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

The spigot is not under your butt or vulva.

Looks close enough for government work to me.

http://www.e-manonline.com/images/entry/bidet.jpg

http://www.cynical-c.com/archives2/bloggraphics/Bidet2_89.jpg

http://www.i-bidet.com/iZEN_files/shapeimage_2.png

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/11.20.03/gifs/bidets-0347-gate.jpg

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:18 am
@ossobuco,
yeah well at least I wouldn't have to worry about:

Quote:
Excess feces remains may clog the bidet drain.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:21 am
@roger,
Thank you - but I can't take credit for it - I think it was on wiki on how to use a bidet. I just chose some of the best of the warnings.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:22 am
@chai2,
Quote:
So, when the water drains, there's still any amount of fecal matter that has fallen all over it.

And don't forget it clogs the drain.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:25 am
@chai2,
Yes feet - I was thinking the same thing - who flushes with their hands even with paper - always the foot.

Although I do know one woman once who slipped and her foot fell in the toliet.
Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:27 am
@Mockingclown,
yep as long as my butt is clean and with extra soft thick and comfty tp - I'm happy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 06:57 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yes feet - I was thinking the same thing - who flushes with their hands even with paper - always the foot.

How do you handle the courtesy flush?