I think it would be quite a trick to get the water source all poopy:

http://img.archiexpo.fr/images_ae/photo-g/bidet-sospeso-11250-2143367.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:58 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Why can't you just squat over the edge of the bathtub

I don't think I'd be a fan of wandering off to the tub to clean up - I'd rather stay in position.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:04 pm
@chai2,
you think way too much. The question next comes up - why then if they are so disgusting are they in more expensive hotels? I've known people to put them in their homes too - it seems simply for the snob factor - I've never heard of any actually using them (around this neck of the woods) except to play with them.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:07 pm
@Linkat,
I don't think it's snob factor in action. I think those people probably travelled and found out they like bidets.
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:08 pm
I found this interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Most people use a small amount of paper to dry their posteriors after the bidet has done its job, but more expensive air-drying models dispense with the need for paper altogether. Thomas adds that bidets provide important health benefits such as increased cleanliness and “the therapeutic effect of water on damaged skin (think rashes or hemorrhoids).”

On the public health front, bidet maker BioRelief reports that almost 80 percent of all infectious diseases are passed on by human contact and that only about half of us actually wash our hands after using the facilities—making hands-free bidets a safer alternative all around.

for full article
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=earth-talks-bidets
Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:10 pm
@Linkat,
but these steps counter the thought that you are supposed to use your hands when cleaning using the bidet.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Bidet
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:11 pm
@Linkat,
I'll take Scientific American over wiki. . .
0 Replies

Linkat
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
And here are some warnings:

Dry wipe at least once after having a bowel movement and before using the bidet. Excess feces remains may clog the bidet drain. This can be quite horrid for someone who uses the bidet after you.

Be very careful adjusting the temperature and pressure on the bidet. You want to avoid scalding sensitive skin, and high pressure can be very irritating.

Some people use bidets to bathe babies. This should not be done unless this is the sole use for the bidet; be sure to ask the caregiver if this is the case, as bathing bidets are quite similar to traditional ones.

Drinking from a bidet is not recommended. The stream can ricochet off a soiled area and become contaminated
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:24 pm
More than 40 years ago, my friend and I saw (and used) the first bidet in France .... to get rid of the sand on our feet.

Today, you get them in many modern bathrooms in private house here ... and even uriniors (urinals) Shocked
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:36 pm
@ossobuco,
No this particular person it is a snob factor.

There are some that I know that are European so understandly, but no there are cases of the snob factor as well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 01:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I don't think I'd be a fan of wandering off to the tub to clean up - I'd rather stay in position.

never mind that - I'm wandering in any case

(I somehow got involved in thinking of hand dryers and got kerfuffled)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 03:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

But, the bidet is a fixture next to the toilet (except for the one that have the toilet 2 in 1), and the tub is a fixture next to the toilet.

My tub is a helleva lot closer than the bidet is in this picture.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4fff38b66bb3f73b6700000f-900/the-bidet-and-toilet-are-super-modern-and-made-by-duravit.jpg
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 03:40 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

And here are some warnings:

Dry wipe at least once after having a bowel movement and before using the bidet. Excess feces remains may clog the bidet drain. This can be quite horrid for someone who uses the bidet after you.

Be very careful adjusting the temperature and pressure on the bidet. You want to avoid scalding sensitive skin, and high pressure can be very irritating.

Some people use bidets to bathe babies. This should not be done unless this is the sole use for the bidet; be sure to ask the caregiver if this is the case, as bathing bidets are quite similar to traditional ones.

Drinking from a bidet is not recommended. The stream can ricochet off a soiled area and become contaminated

See, this is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Sounds like a damn mess all around.

When I'm at home, if I don't have time to clean with a shower attachment (the tub is also a lot bigger to catch splashes) I squirt witch hazel on TP and use that.

PS, I Always wash my hands!

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 04:52 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Excess feces remains may clog the bidet drain.

This may be the most unforgettable statement I've heard all week. If I didn't like you so much, I would make it my sig line.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 05:46 pm
@roger,
I like them. They feel good. I think you are all poopity heads, **** on the brain. I doubt that is how they are mostly used.
roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't have an informed opinion on the subject. I was merely expressing admiration for Linky's well worded statement.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:15 pm
@roger,
That's true, she posted a euphonious meld of words.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:18 pm
@chai2,
So you think the water coming out of the spigot is recirculating from a vulva or butt wash?
roger

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
The water in a toilet bowl also doesn't rcirculate. Don't get me started on all the things I wouldn't do with it.
chai2

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 06:31 pm
@ossobuco,
No, I'm saying that the water from your butt is falling on the spigot, since it's directly underneath your butt.

So, when the water drains, there's still any amount of fecal matter that has fallen all over it.

Then, the next person comes along, turns on the spigot which shoots that stuff up onto you.

It's obviously more sanitary if water is coming from above, which you clean with, and gravity takes it all down the drain.

Let's say someone had fecal matter on their hands, and reached under a sink spigot and touched the opening of the spigot.

You wouldn't want to use that spigot until it was properly cleaned, would you? Water coming out of that spigot wouldn't satisfy me that all the germs and **** were gone. I'd have to disinfect it.

That's why if I'm not using my sink, I use my elbows or a paper towel to turn the tap handles.

Now, if every time a person used a bidet, they sprayed some disinfectant solution on the bidet spigot, I'd be ok with that.
But you know that doesn't happen.