What have you learnt from Forums?

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:41 am
I know sounds like a weird question.

One thing I am not the best at, is spelling... Why? Simple. I always believed, believe you are good at what you love not what you don't love and I hated School.....Long time ago.

Strangely, since I have been here... I type away and then check the spelling and I've noticed that 90% of the time, I have it correct..Gawd.. I've learnt how to spell due to A2K at 49 Smile

On another Forum and here, I've certainly learnt about culture, different Countries what goes on, how words are different, Worlds are different, junk food verses not, is different.

Today I learnt that it costs $99c for a burger and $4.99 for a salad how can that be? WT?

For the past year, yep, no longer a newby I've learnt the personalities that speak have hearts, pretty much all of them... Yet, their characters are individual and strong and that the "elders" older than me are wiser, ****... Where I came from I was the "elder".. That has made it hard to read some stuff, and understand, and I love that. It means, I have more to learn... Go me.

And so, I am wondering.... What have you actually learnt from being on a Forum? Or , this, Forum.

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:27 am
Never talk to goofy women from Oz-tralia.
jcboy

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:54 am
I learned how to sharpen a sword just this morning.

Quote:
A katana is a Japanese sword. You don't sharpen a katana the way you would with a knife. A knife requires that you sharpen the sharp edge of the blade; a katana requires that you grind the sides to produce the cutting and sharp edges of the blade. Along with grinding, you must polish the sword. Polishing will not only allow the katana to shine, but it will help improve any imperfections in the blade.

Actually I learned not to give out too much information, people use the google way too much these days.
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 06:08 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Don't frequently start arguments cause it's too time consuming to deal with others. Have a "whatever works for you" attitude.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 10:20 am
Watch out for cute doggies that bite. Razz
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 12:37 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
I know sounds like a weird question.
Tsorai

Quote:
One thing I am not the best at, is spelling... ....... and I hated School.....Long time ago.
Me too

Quote:
........Gawd.. I've learnt how to spell due to A2K at 49
Almost any comm medium has a spellcheck tho some are better than others

Quote:
.......... about culture, different Countries what goes on, how words are different, Worlds are different,
a2k especially good source since for some reason a2k is frequented by folk using English as a second language

Quote:
junk food verses not, is different.
?

Quote:
Today I learnt that it costs $99c for a burger and $4.99 for a salad how can that be? WT?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WT%20%28pronounced%20dubya%20tee%29

Quote:
........ Where I came from I was the "elder".. That has made it hard to read some stuff, and understand, and I love that. It means, I have more to learn... Go me.
Tell us something about yourself, e.g., where do you reside, your age or occupation, etc
In any case I too an an elder and I understand

Quote:
And so, I am wondering.... What have you actually learnt from being on a Forum? Or , this, Forum.
I've learned that many--present company excepted--participate out of a sense of powerlessness in everyday life, are angry at all times about almost everything, enjoy the anonymity of a username

See Val #....575 above
hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:12 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Ive learnt great science stuff, and some good history. I've seen some great debates rage on from the sidelines and learned to be a lot more dispassionate when promoting an argument. I've seen firsthand how like America my country is and how fundamentally different.

I've learnt that ignore is something that is just as useful virtually as it is in real life. I've learnt that very few people share my lack of musical taste (something I suspected) but that I'm not unique, tips hat to dj.

Mostly I value people who share little bits of their lives, and who take advantage of the fact that you can think about what you say and how you say it - which so often isn't the case in a real time conversation.

I also love the whimsy. I love my orstralian cobbers. I love the regulars from outside north America for being engaged and offering other perspectives.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 05:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Tell us something about yourself, e.g., where do you reside, your age or occupation, etc

Dale, by "elder", I meant from the Forum I am/was on before finding A2K , pretty sure I am the oldest there Wink I am 49, gemini, live in South Australia, Australia, own a Real Estate Company with Property Management and an make-over shop, just me, one man band, struggle like everyone else..

And, I have a motto. "ya never too darn old, we are forever young".
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 05:40 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
from Oz-tralia.

Quote:
I love my orstralian cobbers.

Mmmm... Oz, Ors...Aus.. I am not sure I now know how to spell it anymore? Shocked Spell check... I need a spell check in isle 3..... Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:44 am
@FOUND SOUL,
According to a new horror film debuting here there's a shark in aisle three.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:54 am
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 04:13 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Never talk to goofy women from Oz-tralia.

Well - y'ain't learned that too good, dog breath!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 05:22 am
It's one of my consistent failings.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 05:32 am
@FOUND SOUL,

I have learned a lot about myself, eg. when confronted with a choice between posting either a seedy video about 9 nobel laureates and a sword swallower or a learned dissertation on sword polishing involving quite some grinding, it's a no boner.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 10:10 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:

Quote:
....... before finding A2K , pretty sure I am the oldest there
I believe I am the eldest here

Quote:
I am 49,
I am 81

Quote:
gemini
, Scorpio but can't imagine what possible difference that could make. However I understand those born in the winter months are a shade smarter

Quote:
live in South Australia, Australia,
Remarkable how worldly a2k

Quote:
own a Real Estate Company with Property Management and an make-over shop, just me, one man band, struggle like everyone else..
Thank you for that report, not everyone on a2k is so forthcoming

Quote:
And, I have a motto. "ya never too darn old, we are forever young".
Mine: "Let the World happen"
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 11:26 am
It'd be impossible to even guess everything I've learned from web forums. Perspective and relativity come to mind though. And people you don't necessarily like have great value
dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 01:13 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
And people you don't necessarily like have great value
Reassuring
0 Replies