Another oddity....

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
My computer loads A2K easily and consistently, but I can't open any other website. Does anyone have any idea why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,852 • Replies: 23
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 01:40 pm
When I try to load hotmail or google I get the old:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

At one point, I could consistently load google, but couldn't access any link that a search provide.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 02:34 pm
littletek : haven't had any problems with google, but lately have had trouble checking time-usage from my internet server. amongst restarts etc. they suggested that i clear the BROWSER CACHE - but they didn't tell me how to do it. i couldn't find it on the internet help page either. in the meantime my problem has pretty much cleared up, but now and then it still gives me problems and i can't figure out why(sometimes double-click will work, sometimes have to hold the enter key down an extra second). no other sites give me consistent trouble. i understand that over time certain parts of the internal memory will get plugged up and that the system needs to be taken to a repair-shop for a tune-up. i'm actually planning to take the computer in, since i have noticed that the system has slowed down over time - again, this apparently has something to do with plugged-up memory(sort of like narrowing of the arteries - perhaps plavix might help). hbg ... i'll watch for replies
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 02:54 pm
to clear the cache in IE

In Internet Explorer, choose View > Internet Options. Internet Explorer displays the Internet Options dialog box.

On the General tab under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
Click OK to close the dialog box.
Hold down the SHIFT key and click Refresh on the toolbar to reload the page.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:09 pm
I restarted my computer and now everything works right. Still want to know why this happened though as it's happened more than once.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:40 pm
There are other websites?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:11 pm
SP - heehee!

Ok, it's happening again.....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
littlek, did you try slamming the side of your computer with an open hand?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:21 pm
(Gus is really into all this slapping happening, even if he tries to disguise it with "m"s...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 07:51 pm
No slapping the side of this computer. I had to reboot the DSL-router 3 times today. It's going a'right now. Fishin came by and showed me how to make it run better, but I need all three of us housemates in one room at the same time. Omigod, that should rile up some mins on A2K.
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:28 am
I had this same problem trying to get to adobe to get the reader.. everyone else could get there, but I couldn't no matter how I tried... typing address.. searching and clicking... links from other websites, and even had someone send the link over messenger.. I finally had to have someone who had it send it to me.... I've had other wierd things happen to... like .. trying to log on to ezboard to attach a sig for my mom, I had her own the phone, she logged in and out, then when I tried to log in, it said her password was unidentifiable... yet she could get in and out just fine.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:42 pm
This is driving me crazy! I've rebooted computer, dsl, router a dozen times over the last 3 days. I just did it again and got into my email acct, by the time I had finished typing one response to one email, I was booted off again. And yet here is trusty old a2k.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:39 am
Are you using a firewall?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:15 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
littlek, did you try slamming the side of your computer with an open hand?

That has actually worked for me before, strangely enough. Lemme track down where I mentioned it. ok got it here... www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=227636#227636 Confused
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:23 am
The HOSTS file is always the first thing I check. What you describe osunds like it is probably not the HOSTS file but check anyway.

Instructions and discussion about the HOSTS file.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:38 am
k still having computer problems Rolling Eyes sigh sorry gal

get all those girls in that bedroom will ya Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:44 am
Craven - I replaced the code with what you posted on that thread. It doesn't really sound like a host problem, but it can't hurt.

So, more details? I tried to plug in our MAC addresses to make us exclusively connected. I dropped the number of users down to 4 (in case a friend with laptop came over) and changed from broadcast to restricted access. It didna work at all. I must have messed up somewhere. But, we did change the password, the system name and the wep code passphrase to get new wep codes.

One housemate has been gone for 2 weeks.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 10:47 am
Thanks Craven!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 05:21 pm
lil'k,

I got a about 20 tech support requests today about hotmail. It's down for a lot of people (I can't bring it up either).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 05:33 pm
.net is having problems, so, it's bigger than Hotmail.
0 Replies